Strobe for Olympus TG-2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Q: To address your question "What results do you get when you select "fill in flash" (which is a TTL flash mode) and then put the strobe in TTL mode?"
A: Flash Fires and SYNCS. Flash level control has no effect on flash brightness/power.
Does it expose properly?

When in TTL mode the flash level control only "micro dims". So it can be used to compensate for a tendency of slight over exposure. I am not sure how many true EV stops it will "dim".

My approach was to
1) See if the flash syncs, by taking a picture of the strobe when it flashes
2) See if the flash can be varied, wither manually or via the camera.
3) See if the camera can control (or properly control) the flash with no manual intervention

Does approach this make sense ?

If so, I am on Step 2 right now.

It is my assumption that, unlike analog SLRs that controlled flash TTL by measuring the light being reflected off the film, digital SLRs must use a pre-flash to compute flash duration for TTL.

It is my assumption that the pre-flash may not always be obvious (or noticeable) depending on whether the actual flash occurs front (hard to notice) or rear curtain (easi-er to notice).

Do these assumptions seem correct ?

Does anyone know what the TG-2 is doing (front or rear ) ?

What would be a good test to tell if the strobe is correctly performing TTL Flash compensation ?

I'm thinking that since I DO have A-mode, I could take a flash picture at f 2.8 and another at f 8.0 and compare the two. They should be the same, if TTL is working.

Does this sound reasonable ?

Last edited:
It is my assumption that, unlike analog SLRs that controlled flash TTL by measuring the light being reflected off the film, digital SLRs must use a pre-flash to compute flash duration for TTL.

It is my assumption that the pre-flash may not always be obvious (or noticeable) depending on whether the actual flash occurs front (hard to notice) or rear curtain (easi-er to notice).

Do these assumptions seem correct ?

Does anyone know what the TG-2 is doing (front or rear ) ?
You assumptions are correct.

I do not know if the TG4 is front or rear - most likely front.

What would be a good test to tell if the strobe is correctly performing TTL Flash compensation ?

I'm thinking that since I DO have A-mode, I could take a flash picture at f 2.8 and another at f 8.0 and compare the two. They should be the same, if TTL is working.

Does this sound reasonable ?
that is what i would do.

you may also want to try the different apertures on a low light, medium light and high light subject. That way you can check minimal and maximal strobe contribution.

Thank you, Giffenk.
I appreciate a 'second set of eyes' to help affirm if I am 'On Track' or not.

What he said ;-).
Usually you can hear a click/snap as the strobe is shut off with TTL.

On the YS-03, it either syncs or it doesn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom