Strobe techno-geek questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a newbie shooting a Cannon A650 and want to expand to my first strobe. Questions:

• Is TTL a big feature or not?

• Auto Exposure or not?

• Is optically fired or cable fired better?

• Is color temp important or are they all about the same?

• Are manual settings something I want to look for?

• "Pre-flash capability"...huh?

Ultimately, can somebody suggest the best bang for the buck in a strobe? Looking to stay under $400 for a used item so please don't suggest a YS-350 or anything out of range - heck, the camera is only $220! Thanks all:D.

I am by no means an expert on this, but here is the tiny bit of knowledge I have for your questions:

#1: TTL is not a must for me. I have a TTL capable strobe, but my housing's TTL circuitry is not compatible with the strobe's TTL circuitry. Even if it was, I'd still probably use the strobe in manual mode.

#2: I have nothing for you.

#3: Cable is better. You extend your camera's battery life because its internal flash is not firing, and your strobe should fire every time. Fiber optic is reliable, but some people have problems getting it to work every time without fail.

#4: Again, nothing for you.

#5: Yes.

#6: I think this is referring to the strobe's ability to detect your camera's preflash. You will need preflash capacity if you are going to use a fiber optic cable. You don't want your strobe firing when the camera is sending out a preflash because the strobe will fire too early or too late.

I like ttl, because the camera makes the decision. You can just fire away in various conditions and get a pretty good pic. You'll get a lot of argument here. With practice in strobe placement and settings for different types of pictures and conditions, you have more control over your picture with manual strobe settings. Manual slave strobes are cheaper than ttl.

With your A650, you don't have a choice. You're shooting optical. The A650 doesn't have a hotshoe. Get a high quality fiberoptic cable with a good mounting system or you'll be miserable. Make sure you cover the camera flash to prevent backscatter.

Auto exposure is, I think, a strobe controlled approximation of through the lens (ttl) metering. It uses a sensor in the strobe to measure the light level on the subject. In Inon's version, you have to point the strobe directly at the subject, which you don't necessarily want to do.

Color temp varies. If you can adjust white balance in Photoshop or similar program, or use a white balance preset on the camera, it shouldn't matter much. Most of them are close.

You definitely need preflash compatibility. On some older and cheaper model slave strobes, the preflash of your digital camera will fire the strobe. This puts the strobe out of sync with the camera and you'll get a dark picture even though the strobe fires. Some cameras have a setting that eliminates the preflash.

You definitely want manual settings. As many as possible.

In your price range, a Sea & Sea YS-27DX might be a good choice.

Hi!
I use the Ikelite AF-35 kit. It contains everything you need for a first attempt, gives decent results up close, and is well priced. It can even be converted to a double strobe setup.
It includes: The tray to fix it to your housing; the arm to allow adjustment; the sensor to pick up the camera flash and the controller to adjust the power.
It has manual and auto modes, is rated to 90m (300ft), uses 4 AA batteries, and won't break the bank. In short, exactly what I required.
Although I am serious about photography, I tone down the amount I spend on U/W photography, as I want to reduce the potential loss when (not if) the eventual flooding happens....

With your A650, you don't have a choice. You're shooting optical. The A650 doesn't have a hotshoe. Get a high quality fiberoptic cable with a good mounting system or you'll be miserable.

I checked my Cannon WP-DC18 housing and manual. Checked my A650 manual as well. Where does the fiber optic cable plug into? Can't find a port anywhere!

It picks up the internal flash! There is no port for optics on plastic or glass!

There are different mounting system for different housings and strobes.

I agree with Larry C, the Sea and Sea YS-27DX fits you price range.

I also suggest you contact these guys: Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros . Tell them what camera and housing you have, and what strobes you are considering. They are knowledgeable, patient with questions, and will give you options to satisfy your needs.

There are different mounting system for different housings and strobes.

I agree with Larry C, the Sea and Sea YS-27DX fits you price range.

I also suggest you contact these guys: Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros . Tell them what camera and housing you have, and what strobes you are considering. They are knowledgeable, patient with questions, and will give you options to satisfy your needs.

Thanks, cowjazz, I think I will!

One end of the cable goes in the strobe (of course). The other end goes where?:shakehead:

The other end will attach to the front of housing in front of the internal strobe. I use an Inon 2000 with the A620 in the Canon housing. It's a two piece attachment. One peice is stuck with an adhesive backing to the housing. It has velco on the front. The other piece is a hard velco piece at the end of the fiber optic cable. It's sounds a little funky but works well. Yes every now and then the velco comes off during a dive, probably from inadvertably snagging the cable on something. But it's no big deal just to stick it back on. I always use my Inon on manual. I keep my camera flash setting to 1/4 power, works every time, no problems getting my strobe to flash.

Back
Top Bottom