Strobes for S90 or G11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!

I spent a while reading past posts on compact P&S and I want to buy either a G11 or S90 with Ike housing. The only underwater photo experience I have is with rental cameras. The thing is I'm not sure I understand the difference between these two regarding strobes. With a G11 they can be used in TTL mode, but what about with the S90? I know the easier setup would be with AF35s, but I was leaning towards DS51s because I wanted to keep them should I switch to a dSLR later.

Thanks

The G11 has a hot shoe, so offers Ikelite TTL through their TTL converter using sync cords. So you can get TTL with an Ike housing and Ike strobes. But - this limits you to using Ike strobes, and sync cords are expensive and can be a pain in the butt.

The S90 doesn't have a hot shoe - so you can't connect it electrically. However - You can use externally (fiber optics) triggered strobes like the Inon S2000 or the Sea and Sea YS110a's. I have an Inon 240; and absolutely love it - the s2000s big brother. Haven't used the S2000, but hear good things about them.

The S2000 is about $90 more than a DS51, but provides more power over a wider angle - so you can use them much easier for wide angle than the 51's. I shot dual DS50's for several years with various Ike housings (oly 5060, 7070, Canon 20D); and they are a great little strobe for macro. But the narrow beam angle makes them very limited to use if you ever want to shoot wide angle - even with 2, alignment has to be perfect to have uniform illumination across the scene.

I shoot a 40D DSLR, but just bought the s90 with a Fix housing for my wife. Haven't got them wet yet - housing came out 3 days after we left for a Christmas trip : (. Just playing with it above ground; it works fine optically triggering my 240.

I went with putting a pair of YS110a's on my S90 with the Fisheye FIX housing. I am very pleased with the results. The strobes are set up as TTL using optical fibers.

NorthO,

For hard wired systems like Canon G11 if you go with the TTL circuitry Ikelite housing I recommend the DS160 or even DS161 Movie Substrobe. Wide 4800K beam and could be used if or when upgrading to a dSLR housing.

If you go Canon S90 in the Ikelite housing I've put more folks into the AF35. See my pics in another post I shot with my own Canon S90, Ikelite housing and DUAL AF35 units. Yes, you cannot upgrade the AF35 to a hard wired system but here's my reasoning....

The AF35 35W power compared to DS51 50W is not much if you are shooting as close as you should to get good color. No more than 5' away.....Both are 70-80 (with the diffuser I always use) degree beam angle.

New sensor G11 and S90 can be easily used at ISO 200 and looks great. For close macro shooting I may go down to ISO 100 for a tad more resolution but it sure isn't much of a difference.

Also, smaller sensor cameras have the effect of greater apparent DOF (depth of field) at lower number apertures. F8 max on a small sensor camera is like f22 on dSLR lenses.

Too many shooters are clinging to film day rules of smaller f-stop for great DOF. It's certainly not needed on these little sensor cameras. If you don't believe me go to flickr.com and search for Canon G11 or S90 pics. You will see plenty of photos with great focus shot at lower number f-stops.

I routinely shoot my Canon S90 anywhere from f2.8 - 5.6 and then my strobes don't have to work as hard especially at ISO 200.

I like the DS51 and I have shot them singly and in pairs with super wide dSLR lenses. The color temp is 5700K, a bit cooler than the DS160 /161 (and previous DS125) but they are compact. I'd personally like to see the AF35 TTL / Manual sensor as a pluggable product for use WITH the DS51 OR DS160 /161.

These days unless someone is on an upgrade path I usually see them very happy in either an AF35 strobe or hard wired DS160 / 161.

YMMV

dhaas

Attachments

• IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 190
I went with putting a pair of YS110a's on my S90 with the Fisheye FIX housing. I am very pleased with the results. The strobes are set up as TTL using optical fibers.

Hi could you tell me what settings you use on the camera with the ys 110a strobes at ttl,i read that you need aperture priority mode but do thay work just as good on manual.i also have 1 ys 110a strobe with the canon s90 but no cable yet to work it.

I'm using S90+Ikelite+Inon S2000 with a DIY fiber optic cable. Works great for me.
Next dive I'll try F2/2.8, normally I shoot 4-5.6 for DOF

I too am interested in S90/YS-110a TTL settings.........

Thanks...............M

Thanks dhaas!

I think I'll go with the G11 and ikelite housing.

I've seen your pics with the s90 and they come out real good, but the camera seems really small to use with dry gloves, and I would have preferred the FIX housing, which I won't find around here...

Now for the strobes, I was thinking 2 DS51s, but do you think I should upgrade to a single DS160 or 161? I guess the best would be 2 DS160s, but it's starting to be a lot of money!

NorthO,

To start with a TTL hard wired system get one DS160 / 161. Plenty of wide beam coverage for a Canon G11 even with the external WD-4 Dome Port.

The WD-4 restores the native 28mm equivalent lens angle of the G11 UNDERWATER.

This package will give you a lot of room to grow. Photo below shot with previous model Canon G10, WD-4 Dome Port and one DS160 strobe under the ice last winter.

PM or direct email me through my web site with any other specific questions.

David Haas Underwater Photography

Attachments

• IceDiveCanonG10FireDeptDivers.jpg
    IceDiveCanonG10FireDeptDivers.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 194
Thanks again dhaas!

Nice website... I have also seen some amazing pics from you on the ikelite website!

I have 2 other questions:

Do you have to zoom in a little to avoid vignetting with the WD-4?

When you use TTL, does the built-in flash turns off or do you have to block it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom