Strom Thurmond (Clarkes Hill) Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fabasard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a question, a friend wants me to dive to retreive something for him later this month, I will be diving solo, and it will only be 15' (yes 15' feet) deep, my question is, my friend said the water should be in the 50's, I have a 5mm (or it might be 3mm) wetsuit and can stand a pretty good bit of cold, but is that TOO cold to dive wet? Is it REALLY gonna be in the 50's in the water. I dove Jenny springs for my Rescue Cert., so I thought that wasn't SO bad after I got used to it. Any input would be greatly appreciated, it COULD wait until spring or summer I suppose, but he has time off from work at the end of this month.

I do not think a 3mm is enough, maybe a 5mm, it depends on your cold tolerance. 5mm suit with maybe a 3mm hooded vest and you should be good to go. Lake already down 9 feet. Viz can be low3-5ft. If your alone you should have a back up air source. Carry a knife you can find fishing line anywhere. good luck and happy finding.

I'll second Lone Frogman. When it's 50's or even rumored to be in the 50's it's drysuit for me. Before the drysuit it was 7mm semi-dry. Gennie may have been doable but remember that the water was 72F. That's a BIG difference!

I would say 5mm at least with a 3mm hooded vest...at least!

Be safe and take a knife or sheers for the fishing line.

Jeremy

I third Lone Frogman and JKSteger. I did 59 degrees this past weekend in a 3/2 with hooded vest and called the second dive after 15 minutes. I have a good tolerance for cold. All that said, I was freezing. Lone Frogman was there. I think he was sweating in his dry suit. He was far more comfortable than I. Just my opinion.

Nobody can tell you if a 3mm is enough, except for yourself. I dive water in the 50sF with my 3mm and hood. It gets chilly, but not enough to run me out of the water before getting a decent dive in.

Something I will add to the esteemed panel of experts that have already weighed in on this. If you start getting very cold and shivering, CALL THE DIVE!!!. Once you get past a tipping point of hypothermia, you will make poor decisions, and will lose major and minor muscle control to deal with issues as they arise. You don't want to be the "tough guy" that is dead at the bottom of a lake tangled in fishing line that you normally could have easily cut away. :coffee:

I will now be accompanied by a rescue diver (a real one, not one with just the certification). Luckily he has offered two spare tanks for me to use. I have an unusually high tolerance to the cold as well, but yes, if shivering I will call my dive. We are going to be doing a (fine tooth comb search) using a grid and searching it, then moving the grid. I will repost when the dive is complete, can't wait, haven't been wet in MONTHS (actually years) and the wife says I need a bath NOW!!!! SO the dive will do fine I guess. Thanks for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom