Stuck BCD Inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no memory of this skill from my own OW course in 1984 either. I think even since 1996 that attitudes and knowledge levels have changed about a number of things.

Your profile seems to indicate that you are a new diver. Getting back into the game?

R..
Yes. Getting back into the game. 12 dives in '96 and 19 dives in 2016. Nothing in between.
Thanks for all of you help.

if you pull on the power inflator to activate the left shoulder dump, you should not be able to inflate the BCD. Is this correct? . . . . If the above is correct, it would seem to me that pulling down on the inflator to vent air would put both hands in the area where they are needed.
You are correct about the mechanics of air flow. If you open a dump valve it will generally keep up with the gas inflow from a stuck inflator. And, having both hands on the LPI is optimal for addressing the problem, by disconnecting the LPI hose.
Rainpilot:
Some BCD / wings don't have pull dumps. I don't like to train emergency responses that are equipment dependent (muscle memory) so my procedure is: . . . Left hand raise hose as high as possible while pressing the deflate button.
And, because shoulder dump wires are not consistently present across equipment, I also favor, and teach, this approach. It accomplishes the same objective as pulling on the inflator hose to activate the shoulder dump valve (where present), and is more predictably functional.

I will add a 'soapbox' point, since the opportunity presents itself. :) Divers should regularly practice the urgent / emergent disconnect of the LPI hose. This is one skill with which a number of people seem to have some (initial) difficulty during OW training. (And, it was a skill added to the PADI OW program in ~2103, so the OP would not have been exposed to it in 1996.) Many students don't seem to 'get' the physical operation of the quick disconnect sleeve, and want to pull on the hose before/while trying to retract the sleeve (which doesn't work, of course) - it is almost like trying to simultaneously pat their head and rub their stomach. Students manage to perform the task and meet certification requirements, but they are anything but facile. Like many OW skills, which should be repeatedly practiced after certification (but unfortunately aren't in a number of cases), becoming - and remaining - facile in performing this skill can really offset a rare, but potentially emergent, situation later.

I have adopted a strategy of replacing the inflate valves early and often. There are generic valve cartridges on ebay for under $10 each, and you can get the whole inflator from DGX for $17.

Sticking inflators is one of the more common problems I've seen on shore that scrub a dive. It's a part that is neglected a lot as people don't have that 'life support' mindset they do with regs.
I'm with 2airishuman, replace or rebuild when it shows any hint of acting up. Since it's being used a lot it should not be too hard to pay a little attention how it's functioning.

We we're certified in 2008 & it wasn't covered or mentioned then. My husband has had an inflator stick during our (buddy) skills brush-up dive recently & intuitively knew what to do & got it disconnected quickly. I wouldn't be so calm or quick, so I wil begin practicing this. Good advice here. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom