Stung by coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nehasinggh26

Reaction score
Hi,

I was diving in Cancun 10 days back, and there was a strong current. I had to hold on to a dead-looking hard coral (stony, massive) with bare hands for about a minute while other divers were chasing a shark. Gloves are not allowed. About 5 minutes afterwards, I felt stinging, numbness and slight burning sensation. There was slight swelling and redness afterwards. It went away in couple days. Now, after 10 days, it is back!!! and it is worse this time. More swelling, stinging, burning, redness. I soaked in vinegar, and applied ice, but no relief. Someone please help! I will ofcourse try very hard not to touch anything, and wear gloves where possible in the future.

Not sure if this may apply to your situation. I keep reef tanks as a hobby and have been stung by bristle worms that live in live rock and corals. Seems like the same symptoms I have had. I found soaking the body part in very very hot water then hit it up with peroxide.

Thanks Tresguey and Smellzlikefish. I forgot to mention there are small pinheads bumps on my fingers. I tried hot water and peroxide, will wait and see if it reduces. It bothers me that it healed and reappeared after a week. I am thinking some worms/ cysts are hatching inside my fingers, ewww!! Too much sci-fi. Thanks for your advice.

so... how about a visit to the doctor, radical concept I know.

Think about it:
you've tried a bunch of things,
it has been 10 days,
it healed and reappeared.
Now you plan to wait and see? how long are you going to wait?

What you describe really does sound like bristle worms.

But I am absolutely with Ana, See a doctor.:D

I had something similar (though much smaller - just accidentally bushed a couple fingers) after my first Cozumel trip a few years back. My assumption was that it was just fire coral. My wife had similar experience after brushing some when snorkeling. It was annoying but went away...

If its bothering you, go to doc.

Gloves really shouldn't be needed for warm reef diving - its just a matter of learning to avoid contact.

Good luck.

Hi,

I was diving in Cancun 10 days back, and there was a strong current. I had to hold on to a dead-looking hard coral (stony, massive) with bare hands for about a minute while other divers were chasing a shark. Gloves are not allowed. About 5 minutes afterwards, I felt stinging, numbness and slight burning sensation. There was slight swelling and redness afterwards. It went away in couple days. Now, after 10 days, it is back!!! and it is worse this time. More swelling, stinging, burning, redness. I soaked in vinegar, and applied ice, but no relief. Someone please help! I will ofcourse try very hard not to touch anything, and wear gloves where possible in the future.
I got a nasty infection after falling on an entry in Bonaire and getting stung. See a doctor, you likely need antibiotics. I had to try about 4 before we figured out that it was probably vibrio (nothing to culture, next step would have been a biopsy), and switched to a quinolone. Almost landed me in the hospital!

Hi nehasinggh26,

Your thread title suggests you were stung by coral. Others mentioned bristle worms and fire coral (which is not true coral). There are other candidates down there, including some hydroids, jellies, anemones, sponges and urchins.

I realize this doesn't help you with your treatment at all, but just thought you might like to know.
It might help explain if the doctor never comes up with a diagnosis and must instead just treat your symptoms.

k

Back
Top Bottom