Sturgeon @ Mermet Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blu Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Dove Mermet Springs yesterday (Sunday). It was a very nice day for diving. There were not as many divers there. The water has cooled down to 62F down to 15' and 52F below 15'. The thermocline is at 45' and the temp. was 42F at 45". We practiced running reels on the 727 and shot a few lift bags from the 15' platform. On our third dive we were slowly making our way back to the dock from the 727. We had just passed by the rail car (coal car). We were near the wall when we spotted a Sturgeon. It was white/gray and about 1.5-2 feet long. It was resting on the bottom and would slowly swim a few feet and rest again. The Sturgeon was just at the crest of the wall just off the rail car. This made for a unique experience for me, as I never knew there were Stugeon in Mermet. We also saw some large spoonbill and the usual large catfish. The viz was 15-20 in shallow water and 33' in the deep end of the quarry (at 67' you could see the 100' platform). I'll take the viz, considering how much rain we've had this month. I was concerned it might be horrible. I've been before following a rainy period where the water was milky gray down to about 35'. Once again it was a nice day to dive and had blast doing so.

Back
Top Bottom