Sub-adult Florida Grunt Can't Figure Out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My research site in West Palm Beach has a lot of these sub-adult grunts. I am having difficulty reliably identifying them. They share features with both bluestriped grunts (one of which is on right of frame), and caesar grunts. What keeps borking the Caesar ID is that these fish seem to never have the diagnostic dark anal fins. The lower fins are always clear looking, as far as I can tell.

Any assistance would be great. I get a lot of sub-adult fishes at this site close in to the beach... grunts, snappers, chubs, porgies, parrots.

Attachments

• PICT0034.JPG
    PICT0034.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 123
What's the hang up on the blue stripe grunt ID?
Low lighting keeps me from seeing blue, but the markings and fins look right...

My research site in West Palm Beach has a lot of these sub-adult grunts. I am having difficulty reliably identifying them. They share features with both bluestriped grunts (one of which is on right of frame), and caesar grunts. What keeps borking the Caesar ID is that these fish seem to never have the diagnostic dark anal fins. The lower fins are always clear looking, as far as I can tell.

Any assistance would be great. I get a lot of sub-adult fishes at this site close in to the beach... grunts, snappers, chubs, porgies, parrots.

There is one Bluestripped grunt at the lower right (yellow anal fin), all others are Caesar grunts.

Heh. Yeah, every fish watcher I talk to will either be quite confident in saying...

1. "This is definitely a bluestriped grunt"
2. "This is definitely a caesar grunt"

Personally, I have been leaning with the Caesar's, but the light-colored anal fin is a problem. According to Humann, it is supposed to be quite darkly shaded for this species. But when I browse the internet, there are oodles of "caesar grunt" pictures where the anal fin is only a little dark, yellowish, or clear like my critters.

And then there's this resource, which says that "Their anal, pectoral, and pelvic fins are transparent and their caudal fin is dark."
Caesar Grunt | Mexico Fish, Flora & Fauna

I too have photos of H. melanorum with light to yellowish anal fin, but then my photos are sharp and well lit making it easy to see the other details of the fish.

Here are a few more pics from another trip out there today.
unident haemulid outer reef jun1 2016.JPG
grunt ID.jpg

Back
Top Bottom