Submarine as artificial reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarveyS

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone with experience or knowledge in environmental cleaning and "diverising" of submarines as artificial reefs? We have a possible opportunity in California to accept one from the USN, but I know of no other areas that have prepared and intentionally sunk one for this purpose.

Maryland sank the USS Blenny off the coast for just that reason. Google "USS BlennY". If you need more info, just PM me. I'm not connected in any way to it except that I hope to dive it next summer.

Nuclear or Diesel? Nuclear will probably have the reactor compartment sliced out. It can cost several million to clean a large ship (check out the costs for thwe Oriskany) however, a submarine is of course much smaller, especially if it is a diesel.

Mike

Might be cheaper and easier to invite the Russian Navy to cruise our lovely California coast for awhile - sooner or later one is bound to sink. Oooh, ouch, sorry - that was cold! I apologize........

mikerault:
Nuclear or Diesel? Nuclear will probably have the reactor compartment sliced out. It can cost several million to clean a large ship (check out the costs for thwe Oriskany) however, a submarine is of course much smaller, especially if it is a diesel.

Mike

Nuclear will have to have the reactor removed for security and environmental reasons. The US Navy won't let a reactor vessel into volunteer hands with the reactor intact. Still it'd be a pain in the butt to clean up. Figure the cost in the millions. (example are the Oriskany, the Spiegel Grove, and the Vandenberg. All cost in the millions and they were all non-nuclear.

and don't forget the towing costs and actual sinking costs involved, berthing, etc.

i am assuming the environmental costs will also be significant

not to discourage you, but maybe you need to get a not-for-profit together and raise some money so you can get it done, enlist businesses, the diving community, etc.

sorry to hi-jack, but what all is involved in "cleaning" a boat to sink it? I am just curious as to what it is that cost millions of dollars to get a boat ready to sink to the bottom of the ocean.....

"removal and disposal of liquid hydrocarbons (fuels and oils) throughout the ship so that the ship is essentially petroleum free; removal and disposal of any loose or detached friable asbestos containing material; removal and disposal of all capacitors, transformers, or other liquid PCB containing components; sweep-up and disposal of all loose paint accumulated on deck surfaces; removal and disposal of all trash, loose debris, cleaning materials, and any floatable materials that are not permanently attached to the ship or could be transported into the water column during sinking of the ship; and removal and disposal of all batteries, halons, mercury, antifreeze, coolants, fire extinguishing agents, black and gray water, and chromated ballast water."

I dont know how much salvage money would be in a sub, without scraping the hull. so most of the money would have to come from donations. By the time the navy got done with it anyway.

HarveyS,
Contact Courtney @ The San Diego Oceans Foundation. I'm certain she can steer you in the right direction.

Courtney Gosch
Program and Outreach Director
courtney@sdoceans.org
www.sdoceans.org
San Diego Oceans Foundation
P.O. Box 90672 | San Diego, CA 92169
p 619.523.1903
f 619.523.1979

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom