Substrobe 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattroz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Please Help

I was wondering if the Ikelite Substrobe 50 (the older orange one) would work TTL with a sync cord to a Ikelite Nikon D50housing?

Thanks

mattroz:
Please Help

I was wondering if the Ikelite Substrobe 50 (the older orange one) would work TTL with a sync cord to a Ikelite Nikon D50housing?

Thanks

The MV50 is TTL/Manual the MS50 is Manual/Slave I have both and both are orange in color. If you are using a sync cord via hot shoe, both of these strobes work just as well with digitals as they did with film. The cases of the M and D series are the same (battery cover, flash head etc.) just the color is different and the DS my have an extra pin for the manual controller.

A good deal on these strobes are on ebay or B and H Photo. The Ai 100 Ikelite strobes are also a very good value, brand new the Ai 100 at 100watts modeling light included, is $50 more than the DS50 at 50 watts both from B and H Photo.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...459&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...737&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

If you have the MV or MS strobe already, a good value would be an Ikelite A35 setup at $150 because of the great quality arm and tray that is included. Its like Ikelite threw in the slave strobe as a bonus.

I would replace the A35 with the MV or MS strobe to the arm and tray, then use the sync cord to fire the M strobe. Make use of the A35 slave strobe by attaching a lanyard to keep it on your wrist and use it to fill in those harsh shadows created by the main strobe.

dbh:
They will work....but no TTL.....and not many power settings so you will be moving them in and out alot.

Dave

Actually the MV50 is a TTL strobe, use it myself with an Ikelite housing that has the TTL control built in, not sure on a Nikon D50 housing but the MV50 is a TTL strobe. Yes no power setting but instead of moving them in and out, I adjust the camera's aperture for fine light control.

From ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...00029932697&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Comes with the "TTL" sensor (really just an automatic sensor) for camera's without true TTL.

use it myself with an Ikelite housing that has the TTL control built in
An Ikelite digital housing? From Ikelite
Strobes for many of the new digital cameras must fulfill requirements that are different than what has been required for film cameras.

Some of the digital cameras require a small initial preflash before the standard flash, allowing the camera to gain exposure information. The camera may not provide the best results without this preflash. The two flashes happen almost instantaneously. Most strobes for film cameras can not produce this rapid flash sequence.

Normal TTL strobes will exhaust their energy in the preflash and can not recycle fast enough to provide energy to flash for the photograph; or the strobe system must be capable of ignoring the preflash to produce a flash in sync with the main flash of the camera. Ignoring the preflash can cause camera exposure problems.

Current Ikelite Digital SubStrobes can provide both a preflash and a TTL flash when used with the TTL conversion circuitry in many Ikelite housings.
Film cameras didnot rely on pre-flash for exposure metering. Digital cameras do. The older flashes will not handle the pre-flash. It's just that simple.

bandit_TX:
An Ikelite digital housing? From Ikelite Film cameras didnot rely on pre-flash for exposure metering. Digital cameras do. The older flashes will not handle the pre-flash. It's just that simple.

I believe you may have miss this:

"I was wondering if the Ikelite Substrobe 50 (the older orange one) would work TTL with a SYNC CORD to a Ikelite Nikon D50housing?"

The preflash is a factor when you are firing a strobe via it's photo eye, with the camera's built in flash/preflash unit. When using a direct "wired" menthod via the camera's hotshoe/SYNC CORD, internal flash off, the preflash is not in use. I tested these strobes on my DIGITAL camera's with hotshoes, and they fired each and every time.

And you should have just printed and read the entire post:

"Actually the MV50 is a TTL strobe, use it myself with an Ikelite housing that has the TTL control built in, not sure on a Nikon D50 housing but the MV50 is a TTL strobe. Yes no power setting but instead of moving them in and out, I adjust the camera's aperture for fine light control."

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom