Sucking down a tank quickly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There you go: the mob has spoken. New divers will kill themselves with a camera, they simply can't hack it in the opinion of everyone here.

With all the exculsive "club" mentality here, its amazing that new divers even get help- instead of just being told they're not good enough. Because that's all this thread has boiled down to; the mob telling this new diver he is not good enough to carry something as simple and mundane as a camera.

There you go: the mob has spoken. New divers will kill themselves with a camera, they simply can't hack it in the opinion of everyone here.

With all the exculsive "club" mentality here, its amazing that new divers even get help- instead of just being told they're not good enough. Because that's all this thread has boiled down to; the mob telling this new diver he is not good enough to carry something as simple and mundane as a camera.

Enough melodrama and over-reaction. Ok, dude? No one said the OP will die. All anyone is saying is "All things considered equal, a new diver is better off waiting until they have their s**t together before bringing a camera underwater with them." That's called "helpful" advice, just so you know.

I can't imagine how anyone can cogently argue the opposite position. I certainly haven't seen any evidence of that in this thread.

No one said the OP would kill themselves, you are making a story up so you can then show it as ludicrous. No one said the OP wasn't good enough, most said it would be better if the OP didn't and concentrated on diving first.

if you are so against the recommendations, why can't you just make your thoughts known and then agree to disagree and have the respect of everyone here. Instead (in my opinion) I suspect you may well have the respect of few here given your abrasive comments.

I respect the comments of everyone no matter their dive history, however respect those more who have many thousands of dives as just perhaps they know things that I either have yet to experience or maybe they just have more knowledge than me. I have a lot to learn here and freely admit that. I also have some knowledge given my experience to date and will attempt to impart that to those who wish to know, but am not interested in shoving my opinion down anyone's throat.

The way you argue and browbeat everyone who disagrees with you, suggests to me you think you know absolutely everything on this subject and have no hesitation to tell all and sundry. An expert? Perhaps so, perhaps not.

We all understand your position on this subject so how about we just leave it there, and respect others opinions as well?

No one said the OP will die.
No one said the OP would kill themselves
Oh, but they did:
"As per DAN statistics the number one trigger for dive fatalities is either low on air emergencies and/or out of air accidents. Also, the highest group divers having fatal accidents are new divers with under 25 dives, which according to the OP is his stated number dives 0-24...The issue is that remembering to monitor your gas and your buoyancy control is a skill new divers are still trying to master...Go read Lessons for Life in scuba dive magazine. There is more than one archived article with an out of air fatality involving cameras. In fact a diver died about a month ago in Laguna Beach on a training dive while practicing with his new camera."

This guy is clearly trying to link cameras to out-of-air fatalities. So, yeah, you're both wrong. The mob is trying to say that he isn't ready (without knowing him) and this guy's trying to say that camera will kill him.

however respect those more who have many thousands of dives as just perhaps they know things that I either have yet to experience or maybe they just have more knowledge than me.
And there's where your logic falls apart. More dives does not always equal more experience. The guy who spent years tooling around the shallow reefs of Key Largo, racking up thousands of dives in the 0-30 range is not more experienced than someone with 200 difficult, deep or challenging dives. Second, your criteria is flawed, as you're judging advice based off what someone wanted to select on their profile. In two minutes, I could change one thing and have "thousands" of dives.

But then again, if it's on the internet, it must be true, huh?

All anyone is saying is "All things considered equal, a new diver is better off waiting until they have their s**t together before bringing a camera underwater with them." That's called "helpful" advice, just so you know.

And my point is that no one knows where his skills are except him. There is no evidence to indicate that he can't handle a camera. Being a tank vacuum doesn't make you an unskilled diver, just a air hog. Yet everyone is trying to convince him he's not ready, because he doesn't meet their idea of "ready". Especially YOU; trying to attach a random, arbitrary number to say when he is "ready" to dive with a camera, and trying to portray having more dives as akin to having a "higher rank".

Oh, but they did:
"As per DAN statistics the number one trigger for dive fatalities is either low on air emergencies and/or out of air accidents. Also, the highest group divers having fatal accidents are new divers with under 25 dives, which according to the OP is his stated number dives 0-24...The issue is that remembering to monitor your gas and your buoyancy control is a skill new divers are still trying to master...Go read Lessons for Life in scuba dive magazine. There is more than one archived article with an out of air fatality involving cameras. In fact a diver died about a month ago in Laguna Beach on a training dive while practicing with his new camera."

This guy is clearly trying to link cameras to out-of-air fatalities. So, yeah, you're both wrong. The mob is trying to say that he isn't ready (without knowing him) and this guy's trying to say that camera will kill him.

And there's where your logic falls apart. More dives does not always equal more experience. The guy who spent years tooling around the shallow reefs of Key Largo, racking up thousands of dives in the 0-30 range is not more experienced than someone with 200 difficult, deep or challenging dives. Second, your criteria is flawed, as you're judging advice based off what someone wanted to select on their profile. In two minutes, I could change one thing and have "thousands" of dives.

But then again, if it's on the internet, it must be true, huh?

And my point is that no one knows where his skills are except him. There is no evidence to indicate that he can't handle a camera. Being a tank vacuum doesn't make you an unskilled diver, just a air hog. Yet everyone is trying to convince him he's not ready, because he doesn't meet their idea of "ready". Especially YOU; trying to attach a random, arbitrary number to say when he is "ready" to dive with a camera, and trying to portray having more dives as akin to having a "higher rank".

Ok, I could argue but ............................nuf said. We are all now much wiser for your comments. Why don't we all move on.

Wow, this thread went to hell pretty fast; although I got the answers I need. I will just feel comfortable with more practice. On the dives, I gave my dad the GoPro because, honestly, I didn't want to screw with it being my first dives after being certified. For a new diver like me, there is a lot of crap going on and weighting and buoyancy need to be my priority, then not using my hands. Once that is down, the amount of crap I'll have to keep track of will lessen (or at least be easier). Yes, I will eventually use a camera and could use one now. (I took some snapshots with it and handed it back to my dad). Right now I want to get my skills down before I worry about a camera too much; however, if I want to take one, clip it to a D ring so that its not an immediate worry, and see something cool then yes, you better believe I will use it.

Now with all that said, we had a lady and daughter team of newbs like me on the dive boat. They brought this huge 60lb sophisticated camera to lug around underwater. Their guide and, really, the captain, said they needed at least 10 dives under them before lugging huge equipment around like that.

There are no laws is scuba but it's up to the individual's common sense and comfort level as to what they are capable of.

There are no laws is scuba but it's up to the individual's common sense and comfort level as to what they are capable of.
Thanks. At least someone understood my point.

Glad to see you're not willing to bow to the mob mentality that just because you're new, you can't handle a camera.

Wow, this thread went to hell pretty fast; although I got the answers I need. I will just feel comfortable with more practice. On the dives, I gave my dad the GoPro because, honestly, I didn't want to screw with it being my first dives after being certified. For a new diver like me, there is a lot of crap going on and weighting and buoyancy need to be my priority, then not using my hands. Once that is down, the amount of crap I'll have to keep track of will lessen (or at least be easier). Yes, I will eventually use a camera and could use one now. (I took some snapshots with it and handed it back to my dad). Right now I want to get my skills down before I worry about a camera too much; however, if I want to take one, clip it to a D ring so that its not an immediate worry, and see something cool then yes, you better believe I will use it.

Now with all that said, we had a lady and daughter team of newbs like me on the dive boat. They brought this huge 60lb sophisticated camera to lug around underwater. Their guide and, really, the captain, said they needed at least 10 dives under them before lugging huge equipment around like that.

"There are no laws is scuba but it's up to the individual's common sense and comfort level as to what they are capable of" and never a truer word spoken.

As you say, practice, practice and get some diving in and you will feel more confident and comfortable. Also, using common sense is the best, if you apply that it will serve you well.

Good luck and enjoy your diving.

And all anyone is trying to do here is help inform the poster's level of common sense.

It's ironic that T.C. is outraged that anyone dare suggest that the poster might want to wait a bit to lug a camera on a dive, yet his advice to "go for it if you want to" is perfectly valid. (More so, if you like bold, underline, and italic.)

My last observation here will be this: Having done nearly 1,000 dives all over the world my experience suggests that there is a fairly bimodal distribution of divers that carry cameras:

- divers with phenomenal buoyancy control and excellent situational awareness
- divers with s**tty buoyancy cocontrol and poor situational awareness

I recommend that the poster decide whether or not he falls into the first category... and proceed accordingly.

This is how all revolutions start !

Thanks. At least someone understood my point.

Glad to see you're not willing to bow to the mob mentality that just because you're new, you can't handle a camera.

---------- Post added July 26th, 2013 at 10:44 AM ----------

One thing that I could suggest is to add a scooter to the camera, then all the issues with the camera would look like a kids joke...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom