sucking in water!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uksub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've just done a dive with my Atomic M1, and after about 20 mins I started to take in water, as if the mouthpiece had slipped out of my mouth....so I faffed with the mouthpiece but I was still sucking in water. When on the surface, I disconnected the reg, and did the sucking on reg trick.....no leaks.
So does anyone have any idea what might have happened, or can anyone recommend a decent mouthpiece for the M1?
Looking forward to your replies....cheers! :idk:

Did ya check the exhaust valve to see if something was stuck in there or the flap was folded over?

yeah, gave it a good looking over........if was the flap that was folded, it should have showed up when I attempted to breathe off it while disconnected...I would have thought.

....was this your very 1st dive with the reg ? I've had great luck with Seacure mouthpieces....but the standard Atomic mouthpiece is also highly thought of so it's a little wierd you're having issues with that. Make sure the mouthpiece isn't torn and make sure the zip-tie is tight enough....half the time it's something silly like a loose zip-tie...I use a zip-tie "gun" to install mine because it can exert the correct amount of force....but don't overdo it or you'll crack the 2nd-stage plastic housing.

hmmm, interesting, yes it was my first dive with it, so I'll check the zip-tie.....also you recommend the seacure.......which size will fit the M1?

hmmm, interesting, yes it was my first dive with it, so I'll check the zip-tie.....also you recommend the seacure.......which size will fit the M1?

ATOMIC – must measure or try on, pre 2005 use a I, newer a II (per seacure1.com)

I have found this info to be correct....my old B1 converted to M1 uses a 'I'.....my new T2 uses a "II" size. I upgraded to the better looking BLACK mouthpieces.

Some things to check: First, take the trim ring off the front cover. Underneath is a castleated (looks like the top of a turret in an old castle--or like the rook in a chess set) ring that actually secures the diaphragm to the body. Make sure this is at least as tight as you can make it by hand. If you want to use a screwdriver to tighten it up, lay the shank across the diameter in the gaps of the castle and turn it (clockwise) just slightly beyond hand tight. Then reinstall the trim ring hand tight.

Taking the second stage off the hose, plugging the open end of the inlet port, and inhaling hard should give you a complete vacuum with no air leakage. While you're maintaining that vacuum, try turning the adjustment knob to make sure it isn't contributing to any leak.

If you do all this and you find no leaks, I'd say you don't have a problem and your leak was not there. Check the mouthpiece closely to see if there are any tears in the rubber, especially around the area where the mouthpiece meets the body.

If you do have leaks, and its not the mouthpiece, take it in and get it looked at by a service technician.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom