Sudafed ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoppy

Reaction score
Hi

Is diving whilst taking Sudafed acceptable. ?

Obviously care taken whilst descending as normal etc. I just wondered if it was creating a false sense of security ?

Or do I just stay dry until I shake the congestion which is ear based rather than nasal.

Any thoughts or advice will be much appreciated.

I'll be diving in freshwater here in the UK in November (in case that has a bearing).

Thanks
Phill

Sudafed has been approved for a while by the US navy for use while diving.

Some things to consider (anyone reading this post...) other than the medicine itself being approved for use are:

Ensure you have tried it prior to the dive and do not have any side effects from it.

Ensure you are increasing your pre and post dive water intake

Evaluate your level of congestion and ensure you can clear on the surface before starting the dive

If you have any congestion at all in your lungs do not dive

If planning a long dive is the medicine going to be effective long enough to complete the dive

Jeff Lane

At the Great Lakes Chapter Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society meeting held this past weekend, Dr. Debbie Pestell, Military MD consultant in Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine at DRDC Toronto (and numerous other diving credentials..), presented a paper on CNS Oxygen Toxicity. She reported on the fact that Sudafed, Acetaminophin (Tylenol et al), and Zyban (a stop smoking med.) can contribute to the onset of oxygen toxicity (I'm not sure what amount of additional risk they pose, you would need to contact her or ask on the Medical thread here for clarification). If you dive deep, use Nitrox/Trimix, this would be of particular interest. It is based on this finding that I would probably put these meds in the contra-indicated category for diving. I am not an M.D. but just a cautious diver.

I would urge you to look at other threads here on the subject. I believe decongestants are a hazardous habit to get into since they may wear off at the time of ascent and provide you with blocks that could result in serious injury. It would probably worth a discussion with your own physcian regarding the rebound effect that can happen overtime with some meds. Sometimes you just have to call the dive...

On my boat this past Sunday, four divers, three took sudaphed while en route to the hunting grounds. I am glad to report no injuries or deaths. Some people do get whacked by that stuff, so I can see it effecting judgment if you're not used to it. Same with Dramamine, which is basically an antihistamine as well.

The one published study to date of which I am aware suggests that Sudafed has no significant effects on DCS or nitrogen narcosis when used in recreational profiles. Obviously, it would nice to have this replicated with larger & more varied samples of divers.

For what it is worth, here's a synopsis of that study:

"Contact: Maureen McGaffin
mcgaffinme@msx.upmc.edu
412-647-3555
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center

University Of Pittsburgh researchers find some over-the- counter medicine may affect scuba divers' performance

PITTSBURGH, Aug. 30 -- Scuba divers should think twice about taking certain over-the-counter medications before diving, say emergency physicians at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine who conducted studies on the effects of Dramamine® and Sudafed® on scuba divers' performance. The results of the studies, published in the September issue of Pharmacotherapy, are among the first to have been conducted in hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) chambers, where pressures experienced by divers at different depths can be simulated accurately.

While most divers know it is ill-advised to take any kind of medication before a dive, many will take Dramamine® to combat the effects of seasickness or take Sudafed® to ease pressure in the sinus and ears. But, the researchers wondered might divers be subjecting themselves to greater risks for decompression sickness and nitrogen narcosis?

Nitrogen narcosis and decompression sickness result from inhaling compressed air. Nitrogen narcosis is attributed to the depth of a dive and occurs when divers become disoriented and, in rare cases, become unconscious. It can be remedied by ascending back to the surface of the water. Decompression sickness is associated with the length of a dive and is caused when nitrogen bubbles arise in the blood, resulting in severe pain. Unlike nitrogen narcosis, decompression sickness can lead to permanent damage. Potential neurologic complications include stroke and
paralysis.

According to the results of their studies, the researchers found Sudafed® to be relatively "safe," but determined that Dramamine® could have serious consequences on a diver's mental functioning and judgment. "Our findings indicate that Sudafed® is unlikely to cause problems for divers. But, Dramamine® should be avoided prior to diving because of its adverse affects on mental agility," says David McD Taylor, M.D., principal investigator of the study, who is now at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia.

"Hopefully the results of these studies will make divers more knowledgeable, allowing them to dive safely," says Kevin O'Toole, M.D., F.A.C.E.P., associate professor of emergency medicine, director of the hyperbaric medicine program and co-principal investigator of the study.

In both studies, researchers looked at 30 people recruited from local diving clubs to determine the psychometric and cardiac effects of both drugs. All participants were required to be active scuba divers and had to be at least 18 years old. The study used a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover design -- whereby participants eventually received both the placebo and each study drug, but neither the subjects nor the researchers knew which drugs they were taking.

Each participant came for three separate testing sessions at least one week apart. Each session involved the ingestion of the drug or placebo and testing inside the HBO chamber under two simulated diving conditions -- one just under three feet below sea level and the other at 66 feet below sea level, a common depth for recreational diving. While in the simulated diving chamber, all subjects were connected to a cardiac monitor to record both heart rate and cardiac rhythm. A total of seven separate tests were performed to study cognitive and behavioral patterns."

The issue of the Sudafed wearing off during a dive has been raised in this thread. With a modicum of planning, this should not be a worry given that it is available in both 12 & 24 hour formulations.

As regards tinman's recent post that Dr. Debbie Pestell has reported "on the fact that Sudafed, Acetaminophin (Tylenol et al), and Zyban (a stop smoking med.) can contribute to the onset of oxygen toxicity," I'll be looking into this closely.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks folks for your speedy and informative input.

I will be laying off the Sudafed before diving just to extra sure.

I take on board the "extra" potential risks with Nitrox as I'm about to do my Nitrox very soon.

It's just that I've got fed up with this congestion and decided to get something to help and thought "ooh err can I take this and dive?"

You have given some excellent advice and I thank you for it again folks.

Cheers from a cold wet UK.

Hoppy
Thank God for Dry suits !

from my personal experience.
I am not promoting the use of any physilogicly altering drug.

In the spring I live off of Sudafeds, because i have allergies. usualy two in the mornig do me for the day.

so if i am diving that day then i take two in the morning and dive within recreational limits.

sometimes i will take two about a 1/2 hr before the dive just to be sure.

I find they work great

This board is great !

The knowledge and experience of people here just makes me wish I'd started this diving lark 20 years ago. Ah well ....

Cheers guys !

Phill

Like Aquatec, I have alergies.
Mine is so called Hay fever, which means I'm alergic to weeds.
So my bad time is late August ans September.

Sudafed has never worked for me.
In mild times I can use Claritin, (antihistamine) but when it gets bad, I move to Alegra D, an antihistamine and decongestant.

I am a big guy 250 lbs, so I typically take twice the recommended dose or take every 8 hrs for 12 hr dosages.(at my doctor's advise, since most over the counter drugs are dosed based on 150 - 175 user)

I avoid deep diving (100 + fsw) when using th Alegra D.
I have notice an increase in narcosis while using it.

Mike D

:blfish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom