Sudafed ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be careful when trying any new medication when diving as the effects can be very different between divers, even on the same dive.

I relation to Sudafed let me quote the PADI Enriched Air Diver Course Manual page 38

"Some drugs are CNS exciters believed to predispose you do CNS toxicity. As reported at the October 1995 American Academy of Underwater Sciences workshop on enriched air, this includes the decongestant Pseudoephedrine HCl (found in Sudafed and other decongestant products). It's generally recommended that divers avoid decongestants when diving anyway" ... "Besides Pseudoephedrine HCl, other drugs may affect oxygen toxicity"

So if mixing medications and drugs with diving, always follow the ABCs - Always Be Careful !!!

I have no experience with Sudafed but I have been using zyrtec for my allergies since I discussed them with a diving pharmacist some time ago. There are three good things about this drug:

1 - It doesn't make me drowsy.
2 - It's a 24 hour pill so it won't wear off in the middle of a dive.
3 - it kicks my congestions' snotty butt.:D

Chalk it up to years of allergies as a kid. I suppose my eustacean tube on the right side is permanently damaged, as it usually takes a while to clear. I had numerous ear infections as a kid, as well.

I usually take a half tab of non-drowsy sudafed in the morning before diving, and it provides just enough clearance to allow me to equalize that ear without a problem. It still is a little slower/harder to equalize than my left ear, but it does equalize.

BTW -- I actually use it more for the post-dive clearing. Seems that same right ear would not clear upon ascent -- and so I would be stuck with a clogged inner ear after some dives -- sometimes for a day or two. I found that mild decongestant works wonders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom