Sudafed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaTec

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey Doc
I have been diving for many years with thousands of dives, most of which include a couple of sudafeds, as I tend to be suseptable to allergies I tend to keep them around.
I have heard that you shouldn't take drugs and dive, put it has always been a generic quotation.

break it down into two answers please

What specificly can be a problem with Sudafeds and recreational diving if any?

how about deep diving 300 ft+?

My instructor also recommended Sudafed as long as it was taken right... Here's his theory:

Four hours of relief, one Sudafed...

30 minutes prior to diving
45-60 minutes down
60 minutes surface interval
45-60 minutes down

Do a search. There was some good discussion on this topic awhile back.

Murdock325,

Different people will have different reactions to Sudafed. When I take a four-hour Sudafed, it wears off in less than four hours. Your instructor's theory could leave me with a reverse block (something I never, ever want to experience in the water. . . it can hurt bad enough during a gentle ascent in an airplane). I'd take a 12 hour Sudafed.

in any event, what is most important is how the medication affects you.

Sudafed puts me to sleep reliably enough I could use it for insomnia. :snooze: The box can say non-drowsy, or anything else, but I won't take it and dive. Sleeping with the fishes just isn't a good thing. :drown:

Originally posted by Drew Sailbum
in any event, what is most important is how the medication affects you.

Sudafed puts me to sleep reliably enough I could use it for insomnia. :snooze: The box can say non-drowsy, or anything else, but I won't take it and dive. Sleeping with the fishes just isn't a good thing. :drown:

Sudafed (pseudoephedrine), being a distant derivative of adrenaline, should not put you to sleep! Here are the stated side effects (though insomnia is mentioned, it's rare -- check that you aren't using a product where pseudoephedrine is mixed with an antihistamine like diphenhydramine or chlorpheniramine):

"As with any sympathomimetic agent, cardiovascular adverse effects may occur including angina, cardiac arrhythmias, hypertension, or myocardial infarction; these effects generally occur at excessive dosage or in patients at higher risk (see Contraindications/Precautions). Cardiac arrhythmias secondary to pseudoephedrine which may occur in the general population at therapeutic doses include palpitations, premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), or sinus tachycardia. Well-controlled hypertensive patients receiving pseudoephedrine at recommended doses (60 mg PO qid) do not appear at high risk for clinically significant elevations in blood pressure,[741] however, increased blood pressures (especially systolic hypertension) has been reported seen in some patients with controlled hypertension.[2843]

Ocular effects can occur with pseudoephedrine products. These can include increased intraocular pressure (ocular hypertension) and photophobia.

Pseudoephedrine also can produce GI and GU effects such as nausea/vomiting, anorexia, and dysuria. Ischemic colitis has been associated with the use of pseudoephedrine and may present with symptoms of abdominal pain and bloody diarrhea. Colitis may result from reversible splanchnic arterial vasoconstriction and may occur with acute or chronic use; the ischemic symptoms usually resolve upon discontinuation of pseudoephedrine.

Several significant dermatological reactions have been reported infrequently with pseudoephedrine use. These reactions include: fixed drug eruption or exanthema, erythema, contact dermatitis, and other rash (unspecified). In general, the onset of the skin reactions occurs within 24 hours of administration and resolves in 2—3 days following drug discontinuation."

I take a 12 hour time released combination of pseudoephedrine and guaifenesin (a mucous -thinning agent/expectorant). The guaifenesin thins out mucous and stimulates a slightly increased production of it. For me, the combination helps to keep my eustacian tubes open and possibly helps to combat dry mouth.

It is available by prescription under many different brand names and many different mixes of pseudoephedrine and guaifenesin.

:doctor:

Originally posted by Stone
DivingDoc,

Any side effects involving the male urinary tract (or am I the only one)?

Sudafed can cause dysuria, as mentioned in the profile I quoted. "Dysuria" means "bad or dysfunctional urination." That can be anything from poor stream to pain or burning on urination.

The most common side effect I see in men (usually middle-aged or above) is aggravation of the symptoms they get with enlarged prostate -- i.e. frequent urination, especially at night. Antihistamines can do that too. Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom