Sudan - the best time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamert

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Was in the red sea recently and can't wait to get back. I am an experienced diver and i'm trying to get more remote (more pristine) diving experiences. I am definately doing a Sudan liveaboard.

There seems to be an opening in December (christmas time) in the boat im interested in going with and its a good time for me to go, but i've heard that the best time to visit is April through May.

I have been blessed to see and experience a wide array of marine life but im on the prowl for some hammerhead's. Obviously, nothing is guaranteed and as long as i'm diving i'm hard to dissapoint.

I guess my question's are (all related to diving). How is Sudan? is christmas a good time to visit? what is the best time for shark action? how is the quality of the reefs and marine life? what makes the diving season (April - May) so special compared to the rest of the year? any other tips / pointers / comments?

Thanks

P.S. i have searched the forum and the wealth of informattion is spread across many threads. Hopefully this can be a more updated and concentrated thread for us to learn from

Haven't ventured that south so far, but what I learned from forums, that it gets quite windy and rough between december-march in the deep south (deeper than Pt Sudan), therefore there are no boats in winter. Sharks AFAIK like warmer water and swim up in summertime. A more detailed summary you can read here: Best Diving sites in Red Sea . On the azaib.com website there was a yearly cycle summary, unfortunately they're down. Windfinder provides you reliable wind (-> wave) statistics though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom