Suggested books on tides, currents, & migratory patterns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GSmith

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on any books on these topics, or preferably a combination thereof?
I just picked up "Sealife A Complete Guide to the Marine Environment." It is a Smithsonion publication that does a pretty good job of covering the topic, and more.
Any other good reading out there that you've seen?

You need to be more specific. Dive-related information on these topics is usually very different than that used by scientists, fishermen, and most naturalists.

Tides: these vary tremendously, even within local areas. Your basic oceanography or marine biology text will give you a crude breakdown of the three "types" of types, as will regional nature books. Specific information on certain areas is best found from NOAA. You can also download tide predictions.

Currents: Do you want to know about the major oceanic currents, surface currents, local/regional currents, or seasonal currents? Like the tides, these also vary in size and scale. Divers use surface current info, as well as rip, tidal, and longshore currents. Dive reports give those people the best information on specific sites, like walls, wrecks, and drifts. Nature books tend to inform when/if weather or tides influence current regimes within certain regions (i.e. Bay of Fundy).

Migratory Patterns: For what animals? Different organisms move at different times, to different places. You're not going to find a good blanket book for all these critters. Once again, the trusty regional nature book saves the day. Get one for every region you dive in and I suppose you're okay. Most of them concentrate on birds, but there should be material on cetacean, turtle, and fishes. If it's fish you're predominantly after, then a local fishing guide is your best bet. They are VERY SPECIFIC, and also make good use of TIDES and CURRENTS.

Years ago I passed thru the Bay of Fundy. I had forgotten that they have the broadest extremes in tidal movement, if I remember correctly.
I hadn't even considered the fishing guides.
Thanks for the info...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom