suggestion on wetsuit in bahamas???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txscubagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
Does anyone who has been diving in the bahamas have any suggestion on what type of exposure suit we will need at the end of may?

Hi txscubagirl,

I just returned from the Bahamas (Nassau).The water temps -depending on whose computer you believe- varied from 71 to 78 degrees f.
I saw people dive in: bathing suits; 3mm shorties; 3mm full suit; 3mm full suit with 3mm sleeveless vest over it, and a "beanie"; 3mm hooded vest with a 3 mm full suit over it; 5mm full suit; 3mm full suit with 3mm shortie over it; 7mmfull suit.
In other words, the range was quite wide.
I'd bet that in a month, water temps will be 5+ degrees warmer, which could influence your choice of suit, as well as: how many dives per day, for how many days, what do you do when not diving, and your general tolerance for "cool" water.
Sorry if this seems like a "non answer", but there is a wide variety of options. Just remember-too warm is easier to deal with than too cold.
Good luck,
Mike

I would recommend at least a skin....to protect you from stings....some like
a 3mm....for doing wrecks. Mostly depends on your getting cold level.

I agree with above. I was in the Bahamas in March and was in a 3mil full suit, there were people diving bathing suits then.

Last June I did first few dives in 3 mil, and then bathing suit after that. I did where my reef gloves the whole time though. If you doing descents and ascents on mooriing lines some of them have sea lice that can cause a little itch or rash. Nothing to really worry about, but the gloves help.

Mike

I wore a 7mm hooded full suit and was comfortable. At the time, that's all I had, but it worked fine. I don't think there is such thing as being too warm in the water...or at least, I've never experienced it.

Thermal comfort is somewhat idiosyncratic, as you can readily see from the responses to your inquiry, e.g., bathing suit, skin, 3mm, 7mm.

To put the subject in perspective, below is a piece, in part, from my June '00 "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "7mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, expect Bahamas water temps in late May of 77 plus/minus a degree. Personally, if was doing multiple dives over multiple days at that temp I'd take a 3mm full. If you get a bit too warm during a dive, you can always let some water into the suit. Much harder to warm up. Also, take a hood or beanie.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Thermal comfort is somewhat idiosyncratic,
DocVikingo

Add to that the all important log book record of each dive, detailing exactly what exposure protection you chose, the water temp, the dive duration, and your perceived cofort level. (as well as the # weights used for each combination)

Over a larger collection of your personal log book data, you will be able to make these decisions instantly and well for the "next" trip.

Logging and recod keeping is the key. You will see these conclusions change as you age, or if your surface interval varies from lounging on a hot beach versus hanging on for dear life in a lower grade pitching, cramped liveaboard.

Everything evolves, as should your knowledge base. Keep records.

txscubagirl:
Hey,
Does anyone who has been diving in the bahamas have any suggestion on what type of exposure suit we will need at the end of may?

i just returned from Grand Bahama 2 weeks ago, the water temps were 71-75 according to my computer. i was using a 1mil skin and was ok most of the time, my wife gets cold easily and was using a 3mil farmer john and jacket,and said it was perfect. so it depends on how easily you get cold.
i volunteer at the Dallas Aquarium and dive in 72 degree water regularly with my 1 mil and am usually very comfortable, but i wouldn't go less than that especially if you are going to make repedative dives.
if your going to Grand Bahama Island dive with Sunn Odyssey Divers, Nick and Karen and the crew are great people and will do you right. we had some great dives with them.
the water should be a little warmer by the end of this month, hope this helps have a great trip.

The nice thing about a 3mm full suit is that it works in almost any kind of warm water for anyone. It is really the only warm water suit you would ever need. It handles temps from 75F on up really well.

For dive skins you probably would not be happy unless the water was closer to 82F.

If you have lots of blubber on you, then you can get away with less in cooler temps. However for most cases 3mm is perfect.

I "typed" with a freind there yesterday. Water temp is 77f.
I usually wear a 3/2 fullsuit for 75f and up.

Have a great trip!!

Back
Top Bottom