Suggestions for boats to buy for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive from a 13 foot Boston whaler. It holds 2 divers ok. It also works well for fishing.. I took it into 30 knts of wind and 5-8 foot seas and was a little sore but not wet at all!!!!!!!! In fact I was dry:). I went 25 knts and had air on every single wave!!!! It's a great dive, pleasue and fishing boats!!!! A bigger one woould hold more people and still be ad dry

3 to 4 divers gets real crowded in anything less than 22 feet especially if there are 2 or 3 non divers on board. I think you should look in the 22 to 24 foot range. 18 to 22 can handle 2 divers and a couple of non divers OK. In either case you need to be well organized with tank racks and storage area, preferably below deck.

I concur entirely with Captain ... I dive from my 20 Cuddy here is San Diego. Most of the dive spots are within 5 miles of shore. And within 20 minutes of either harbor Mission Bay or San Diego.

Diving in 5-8 ft swells takes big huevos on a small boat<40ft IMHO. Someone gets hurt/bent/unconscious etc ... and you gotta get that diver back on the boat somehow. Heck it's tough donning gear in 3 ft swells on a small boat 3 divers max on a 20-22ft with gear comfortably ... if you are diving doubles it is gonna get crowded. I like a Cuddy but lots of folks love their CC's in particular for fishing palegics and big sport fish.

Also I like to use it recreationaly and tour the harbor with friends .. pull up to a dock and eat some lunch or dinner at a local restaurant or head to Mexico and do an over night in a Marina... The Cuddy affords you some security for personal items while you are docked or on an overnight.

Taking friends diving SOUNDS great...the reality is you do all the work, and pretty soon you get sick of their fat lazy asses, lol :cool2:

So...do you really want to pay another ten grand per linear foot, so they can all be comfy?

I had this one friend complain about how our boat was not safe in rough seas, climbing up between the props...you hear that stuff a few times and you see your house disappear before your eyes, and your inner circle of who you really want to take gets pretty small.

I've had divers tell me I should have 02 on my boat...it's just a different world, vet people very carefully, especially if you are a divemaster or a medical person, etc. People very innocently expect you to be responsible for them..

In some ways, smaller is more luxurious..like cars...you wanna drive everybody's kids in the mini-van or hop in the two seater and say "sorry, no room?"

Cate once again I bow to your insight and shear brilliance ... on the mark again !!!!

But we'd like to go to Mexico on your boat with you :wink:

Taking friends diving SOUNDS great...the reality is you do all the work, and pretty soon you get sick of their fat lazy asses, lol :cool2:

So...do you really want to pay another ten grand per linear foot, so they can all be comfy?

I had this one friend complain about how our boat was not safe in rough seas, climbing up between the props...you hear that stuff a few times and you see your house disappear before your eyes, and your inner circle of who you really want to take gets pretty small.

I've had divers tell me I should have 02 on my boat...it's just a different world, vet people very carefully, especially if you are a divemaster or a medical person, etc. People very innocently expect you to be responsible for them..

In some ways, smaller is more luxurious..like cars...you wanna drive everybody's kids in the mini-van or hop in the two seater and say "sorry, no room?"

Catherine is dead on. People have no problem going with you ......... on your tab. With that said, when are we going out? :cheers:

But we'd like to go to Mexico on your boat with you :wink:

Just bring the Ensure( I prefer Chocolate) and gator-aide ... we may have to live their for a few years ... ha ha ha .. They got plenty of cheap cervesa, avocados and salsa there. Hey with the new E-Tec ... we can all head to Puerto San Tomas )south of Encenada) and live there for a couple months till the burning stops in California ... ha ha ha Fish for deep water reds, Albacor, lobster and hunt quail ... oh eat fresh octopus ceviche' ... I'm telling you after the crash I'm there.

Okay lets make a deal

have the "retreat" for plan B

The Colonel served up clams and oysters to JB the other night, I kid you not....right from here...sounds toxic, no?

Okay lets make a deal

have the "retreat" for plan B

The Colonel served up clams and oysters to JB the other night, I kid you not....right from here...sounds toxic, no?

I don't know me and Sophia picked a bunch of mussels from the rocks down at the end of my street last month and steamed them ... hey ..wait a minute maybe that's why I got this upper respiratory thing ... ha ha ha

I eat local caught lobster all the time and fresh halibut right out of the mouth of the San Diego river...

Hey there is nothing more toxic than San Diego waters and our bay. We are always under the influence of the TJ river outflow and the Point Loma sewage treatment plant.

Yea, I've seen that TJ sewage map

So...the guy that owns this big gunstore has a big Hatteras in Ensenada and he told me *they* just picked it clean, like locusts.

every piece of stainless...he used to own the Bently dealership in Palm Springs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom