Suggestions for boats to buy for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back to the topic at hand. I really like the Shamrocks. Plenty of room, big direct drive engine, long range, etc. Heck, Sea Tow and Vessel Assist uses them.

I usually dive off of a 21 ft Triumph center console, and it gets crowded with 6 divers on board. 4 is perfect. And yes, we have O2 and a big azz first aide kit on board.

You guys are pansies, we dive if the swell is less than 10-12 ft. I kid you not.

As far as being worried about other peeps on the boat, don't you people screen your "friends?" Usually our minimums are at least 100 dives, drysuit, and have dived off of private boats before. If you complain, you're off of the mailing list and get no second chance. :eyebrow:

lol

as long as you are passing out free advice....where should we put our money???!!!

I screen my friends that is why I don't have any.

They had to all be solo divers, sworn in blood. ...And they had to state it with witnesses, no joke and own their own EPIRB

NO lawyers...ever. Freedivers that like to Samba get old.

hey, I've been thrown off a few nice boats myself...bobby pins in the head, leaving hatches open in storms, little stuff like that.....but that was in my twenties.

Yea, I've seen that TJ sewage map

So...the guy that owns this big gunstore has a big Hatteras in Ensenada and he told me *they* just picked it clean, like locusts.

every piece of stainless...he used to own the Bently dealership in Palm Springs.

Damn .. does he keep it at the Corral? I thought that place was guarded ... guess you gotta keep greasing the locals to keep an eye on your stuff.... Well then there you have it ... Lake Erie and western Pa here I come ! ha ha ha

I brought a banana on a dive op boat in the Keys just to raise a few eyebrows ... I thought it was funny!

Shamrocks are nice rides.

I've fished in 8-12 ft swells off my boat off of pukey point on the Coronado Isl. Baja .. was no big deal but for diving ?? ... you got huevos my friend. I'de be concerned about geting clocked on the head by the transom or pitched off the ladder on the way up!

Back to the topic at hand. I really like the Shamrocks. Plenty of room, big direct drive engine, long range, etc. Heck, Sea Tow and Vessel Assist uses them.

I usually dive off of a 21 ft Triumph center console, and it gets crowded with 6 divers on board. 4 is perfect. And yes, we have O2 and a big azz first aide kit on board.

You guys are pansies, we dive if the swell is less than 10-12 ft. I kid you not.

As far as being worried about other peeps on the boat, don't you people screen your "friends?" Usually our minimums are at least 100 dives, drysuit, and have dived off of private boats before. If you complain, you're off of the mailing list and get no second chance. :eyebrow:

I have a 22 straight inboard Chris Craft center console, handles seas great, good for two divers and two non divers, not a fan of outboards. In the Gulf of Mexico center consoles are fine. Would not want to be in a cabin on a 98 degree day and it doesn't get cold enough long enough that you can't get a decent day in the winter when it's in the 70 or 80 to dive to need a cutty for protection. Except this year, dam global warming has us freezing our a--es off. Hadn't been able to wear shorts for the last two months.

I agree, pick a better class of divers.

I have a Boston Whaler 23' Outrage Center Console with 2 F150 outboards.
The boat is very stable, fast, economic and i can run it with 8 Divers, 16 tanks ( maximum was 13 divers with 1 tank each :crafty:) and all the rest of the gear and she handles still well.
A nice dive boat would be a Catamaran like Glacier Bay, World Cat and so on because of it's seaworthiness, the lateral stability and the huge space on board.

Stay away of any cabin boats, they usually waste a lot of space with a cabin you never use and usually small cabins become a big locker. Center console boats have enough space to divide tanks/gear on the stern, console on the center and space on the bow for the divers. Just take care to have enough space for all tanks on the stern. Big fishboxes are good to stow the empty/full 2nd tanks out of sight and saving space on deck.
A normal swimladder on the stern is enough due that we doff in the water handeling weights and tanks/bcd to the crew and climb up the ladder "light" and without fins.
I personally don't like stern platforms because in chops over 3 ft they get complicated and dangerous to climb on or even worster get trapped under.

What a exciting time to choose a new boat!

Chris

The OP is going to be in the Northern Gulf, pansies or not, you will not be diving 10-12 footers in the Gulf, sorry, no way. In the Pacific the swells are far apart though quite large and smooth. In the Gulf the 12 footers are 12 feet apart and you will not be out in a Triumph or anything like that. :rofl3:

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom