Suggestions for diving setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would avoid a jacket type BC. I started with one and found that if I turned to one side or the other my tank would shift position. I am NOT going to chant BP&W even though that is what I dive but I will say that a good back inflate BC is another option to consider. They are IMO much more stable and non-confining. Good luck and enjoy your dives!!!

DH and I both love our Mares Quattro fins. They move a lot of water and work very well with frog kicks and so on. They're tough too; just store them flat. We're likely to get them again when they finally wear out.

As for the BCD... do check out the back inflate style. We're both fans of that. DH dives a Zeagle Ranger. The Ranger wing works well with thick wetsuits/more lead, but it's a bit much for warm water (big wings are harder to balance). The rip cord weight release on the Zeagle BCDs is excellent, and it will not drop your weights accidentally (a common problem with weight integrated BCDs).

For the dive computer, something simple like the Zoop or Puck will work well for any recreational dives, but if you're a gear head you'll probably want something with air integration and a nicer display eventually. You could always upgrade the computer later, though. DH has a Zoop and is lusting after the air integrated Suuntos. :). I have a Puck and am considering air integration to get rid of the bulky console.

Oh, and please save yourself some money and don't mount your compass or computer on your console. If you actually use the compass, you're going to want it on your wrist or on a bungee cord. The computer is easier to monitor on your right wrist.

Cressi do some good travel BCD s if you are in Europe and good value, I had a travelight which I would recommend. Zeagle will be difficult to get hold of but if you are keen the Stilletto is an excellent travel BCD. I would not advise getting the Petrel computer if you are new to diving. It is really for technical diving and will not prevent you making mistakes.

Great info guys. Thank you.

I would avoid a jacket type BC. I started with one and found that if I turned to one side or the other my tank would shift position. I am NOT going to chant BP&W even though that is what I dive but I will say that a good back inflate BC is another option to consider. They are IMO much more stable and non-confining. Good luck and enjoy your dives!!!

I was under impression that Mares Hybrid is in fact a hybrid. something between a jacket and pure wing style BCD. So thinking I would get best of both worlds - somewhat nice position under water and not turning face down when floating on surface. Only thing I'm not sure about is performance of AirTrim.

Great info guys. Thank you.

I was under impression that Mares Hybrid is in fact a hybrid. something between a jacket and pure wing style BCD. So thinking I would get best of both worlds - somewhat nice position under water and not turning face down when floating on surface. Only thing I'm not sure about is performance of AirTrim.

I'm not going to chant about wings either, although thats what I and most of the people I dive with use (those with BCD's are generally waiting for them to wear out before moving to wings) Just to say I've never been face planted with a wing so don't dismiss them just on that basis

When I brought my gear i selected entry level stuff mainly aqualung (because that's the major LDS here) my only bad choice was getting a BCD and only because I was in between sizes it was either too loose or too tight. I have upgraded a lot of my kit but only because my diving has changed. when I started again I didn't believe I'd be needing a comp that could gas switch for deco or need an O2 reg, if I'd had brought these straight off no doubt sod law would have ensured my diving had never gone that way

anyway there's a certain satisfaction to treating yourself to new toys occasionally even if you use the most tenuous reason for a gear change :wink:

Petrel or xDeep computer instead, and given the fact you need one good computer now and the xDeep are on about 3-4 month waiting list, Shearwater is my vote. I also agree with a previous poster that a lot could be saved on the BC....BP and wing are easily adjusted to fit.....properly, and the one thing I wish I had switched to MANY years earlier.

.......you'll get some folk here(GUE) advocating a back plate and wing for singles. Most recreational divers use a BCD however and my 2 cents worth is that is what I would look at if in your place. I have a hollis (45lb) and an apeks wing(60lb) and an aluminium and a stainless steel backplate which i use for twins. For singles I use a BCD. right tool for right job IMO.

Whatever you decide it should fit well enough to be holding your tank securely, to the point that it always stays in postition with no need for adjustment, not rocking or twisting to one side. There are numerous advantages to a backplate, but I don't think another word needs to be added to this server on that topic, its all been said!:wink:

Whatever you decide it should fit well enough to be holding your tank securely, to the point that it always stays in postition with no need for adjustment, not rocking or twisting to one side. There are numerous advantages to a backplate, but I don't think another word needs to be added to this server on that topic, its all been said!:wink:

Amen to that!

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Just FYI, I now own:
- Mares Flexa 5-4-3 + Overshorty + Mares Classis Boots NG 5mm
- Mares Hybrid AT BCD
- Aqualung Titan LX supreme 1st, 2nd and octo combo + AL SPG
- Mares superchannel fins

Still out in the open regarding wrist dive computer. Would love an AI one, but I found a lot of reviews on icon hd, vyper air, d4i, ... where people have nothing but problems with sensor or pc synchronization, battery life, ... In the end I'll probably just go for suunto zoop or mares puck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom