Suggestions for hotel and dive op Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adurso

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and daughter and myself are looking at Grand Cayman late July early August and were looking for suggestions for hotels and dive ops. I have been hearing a great deal about Sunset House? Thanks

A few quick comments:

Sunset House is a dive resort. The rooms are a little plain but adequate. My Bar is a diver's hangout. And there's the Cathy Church Photo School/Gallery in the basement of the main house.

It's on the ironshore so no beach if that matters. Most of what isn't ironshore is concreted over with easy access to the reef. We dove it twice and I'd have done it again with more time.

It's also just far enough south of town to miss the mayhem when the cruise ships dock daily. Sometimes there can be up to 3 at the same time so Georgetown becomes a mess from 9-5. After that it's a ghost town, nothing much open except the food store and the restaurants.

One thing you won't read on their website is that they're in the flightpath. Planes are really low when they go over. But it doesn't happen particularly often.

Most any diveop will pick you up for free anywhere along Seven Mile Beach. South Seven Mile Beach is more a mix of condos, one resort and local houses with some bars/restaurants interspersed. Farther north towards the Marriott or Hyatt there's more restaurants, stores etc.

And SMB is a really nice beach. No shorediving off SMB though even though you'll see the diveboats just a little too far offshore. Some even pick you up off the beach.

If you're shorediving, Sunset House is good. In town Soto's and Eden Rock are other options. Then there's nothing much until Cemetery Beach on the north side of SMB. Followed by Lighthouse Point and Turtle Reef - ending at Divetech/Cobalt Coast about a 10min drive past LP.

Also up in that area is the Boatswains Beach/Turtle Farm. Not sure what that's like currently.

If you're looking for quiet, try Ocean Frontiers or the Reef Resort on the East End. But it's a 45 min. drive from there back to civilization with only a couple of restaurants and one small market nearby. The diving is frequently mentioned to be better though.

I have been hearing good things about Sunset House. So there is shore diving there? Thanks

I dove with Don Foster's out of Grand Cayman. They were good to work with.

adurso

We have in the past had great luck with Jason at Ambassador Divers Ambassador Divers Ltd., Grand Cayman Exceptional scuba diving in the Cayman Islands. Although we have not stayed there, they have a new hotel dive package with the Coral Sands resort Coral Sands Resort, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. We have a reservation there in September. Cant wait!

Those rates seem reasonable, I will look into that further.
Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom