suggestions for lift bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryukyu-diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
:confused: I know a vast amout about diving but when it comes to lift bags used also for deco deployments I am up-in-arms over this. A few concerns or question that I have are:
1) Best suggested lift rate that will meet almost all of the agencies requirements.
2) Making knots in the reel line at five foot intervals utilizing for measuring 10, 15 or 20 feet deco / safety stops. (not the entire line...just certain point)
3) tips on deployment.
Thanks!

Axeman,
Thanks for the suggestion but I was not looking for a company...just suggestions on size and deployment.

Ryukyu-diver once bubbled...
:confused: I know a vast amout about diving but when it comes to lift bags used also for deco deployments I am up-in-arms over this. A few concerns or question that I have are:
1) Best suggested lift rate that will meet almost all of the agencies requirements.
2) Making knots in the reel line at five foot intervals utilizing for measuring 10, 15 or 20 feet deco / safety stops. (not the entire line...just certain point)
3) tips on deployment.
Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by "lift rate", but assume you mean the rated lift of the bag. AFAIK, there are no lift requirements for any of the tech agencies in the US. I think that most of us use 50 to 80 pounds bags, either open or closed. I have an 80lb closed that I prefer for deco, but carry a 50lb open on my single tank rig.

As far as deployment, that's a pretty big area and not sure on what you're looking for. You might want to look into a technical dive class that would explain all this much better than you can do by posting.

MD

If you mean lift rating, most bags used for deco are in the 45 to 50 lb range. Some are colored orange and others yellow. Some are sausage shaped and others are bag shaped. Some instructors prefer the sausage shapes, because they are easier to spot from far away by the chase boat. Some instructors prefer the open ended while other instructors prefer the closed ended.

Not a good idea. When you deploy the bag, your reel is going to be spinning. Knots in the line would not be a good idea.

3) tips on deployment.

Hold it away from you, as you deploy it. Inflate it from a 1st stage that you are not currently breathing from. Those are basics.

Youre going to need to ask your specific instructor about these questions.

MechDiver,
I was going to let it go but, now that I think about it.....
OK, maybe I did not get the questions exactly right but, still you could have given more information than just, "As far as deployment, that's a pretty big area and not sure on what you're looking for. You might want to look into a technical dive class that would explain all this much better than you can do by posting." There is no belief on my part that you can get better information than from a formal class and instructor but, I just wanted to get a leg up prior to the class begining. I have exhausted every book I own as well as every web site in trying to find information pertaining to lift bags, reels and spools. Please take a look at the small amout of information given even on this site. The question that pertained to tying knots in the line was for spools and not reels. MY BUST on that one. But clearly, I guess that I was mistaken when I looked at this site as a form of gaining information.
"Good way to bump that thread there Karl. Nice going" Maybe I should put more time in adding on to the over 200+ threads pertaining to which is best PADI or DIR instead of trying to find out pertinent information.

Lift required depends on a lot on depth and current. If you are using a fixed upline to ascend from 150 ft. in a strong current there is a risk of the drag of the line and the bag pulling the bag under. So in that case a larger bag is needed than in calmer or shallower conditions.

I use a knot at 20 ft. for convenience. I have never had it snag or hang up on deployment but then the bag is not really moving real fast yet after only a 20 ft ascent at depth. I would not consider putting a knot at 50 or 100 ft.

One thing to mention when on about the knots are if there is any sort of current the line wont be vertical so the knots wont be at the depth you expected.

Back
Top Bottom