Suggestions for weight distribution in Zeagle Ranger W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stacyann

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went out this weekend for a class with my new drysuit, and ended up belly up a few times while using a Steel 100 and weight distributed in the usual pockets. Looking for suggestions to think about before I head in to my LDS. Given my circumference (5'6", 285lbs), the "front" weight pockets are pretty far to the side, which made me feel tippy. And with so much weight on my back, I feel like I need more up front and center.
My instructor suggested I consider a DUI weight harness - or some other way to control weight placement, though we weren't sure if that would work with the Zeagle.
Also, I saw a reference to moving the rear trim pockets to somewhere else on the BCD - but wasn't sure which straps are suitable where it would obstruct something or slide around.
I'll definitely add pockets to the fronts of both thighs, which will also help keep me from going feet up again.

Details:
5'6" and 285lbs (please don't troll on this - I'm not going to put off diving until after this changes)
Zeagle Ranger W XL
Steel 100 tank
Not sure I've got all these right - but I started out with 34, and at the end we think it was another 22 on top of that (not sure if that accounts for buoyancy difference of the tank).
5lbs in each rear trim pocket (clearly this was a bad idea on my part)
2 lbs on each ankle
10 lbs in each mesh pocket
5lbs in each second front pocket ( I think )
Another 6lbs tossed in random pockets in the water.
With that I was maybe a bit overweighted - though I was having trouble with my air pocket, so hopefully I'll be able to take a bit off of this eventually.

Hope this is okay to post in the Zeagle forum - since I think I'm looking for advice on how to get the weight I need on this BCD.

Last edited:
Here you go.
If you had to let out your cumberbun more than one hole adjustment to get good overlap, your vest is too small.
The weights are now too far back on your hips, and your "ballast" is completely behind you.
It would be better if the weights were forward on your hips especially if you have a steel tank trying to turn you turtle.

56 pounds plus the weight of the tank?
Yeah - I had 63 or 68 during OW when I tried a wet suit that was too long - had the legs folded up about 12", plus some fold back on the wrists. Climbing the stairs back to the lawn at Breakwater got more than a few comments about how hard it looked.

If you had to let out your cumberbund more than one hole adjustment to get good overlap, your vest is too small.
My hips without a suit are around 59", so have a Ranger W that tries to cumberbund above that seemed like the right way to go. It is currently on the farthest setting out, though there's enough cumberbund overlap I could probably take it in one notch on each side. I definitely didn't cinch it tight enough on that dive - I could feel the vest/tank moving as I flipped over.

The weights are now too far back on your hips, and your "ballast" is completely behind you.
It would be better if the weights were forward on your hips especially if you have a steel tank trying to turn you turtle.
Great, how should I attach them? Is there a part I can swap on this vest to fit better - since the Ranger is modular? It's not like there's much equipment that's designed for people of my shape.

The hole position that the cumberbun is mounted in doesn't change where the weights set on you.
The hole position on the cumberbun only tells me you bought the wrong size vest bc for your build/size. Letting out the bun may allow you to wear the rig but that doesn't make it fit properly.
My recomendation is always to try on for fit the different vest sizes until you are wearing the size that allows complete overlap of the velcro on the cumberbun, with the bun bolted in the inside most position, as this puts the weights at the right place, forward on your hips. THEN change the shoulders, if necessary, to put the buckle in the correct height position on the breast.
The Zeagle BC's just dive better than other products sold in the market, and they don't move around on you at all but proper fit is necessary or you will be fighting the gear on every dive.
I recomend you try on a mens Ranger bc for size, and then swap out the shoulder straps for correct length.
You might need an L or XL bc with XS or S shoulders.
The size really doesn't matter, it's just whatever it takes to get a great diving BC fits properly. Then you can cut the size tabs off if they bother you.:)

The hole position that the cumberbun is mounted in doesn't change where the weights set on you.
The hole position on the cumberbun only tells me you bought the wrong size vest bc for your build/size. Letting out the bun may allow you to wear the rig but that doesn't make it fit properly.
My recomendation is always to try on for fit the different vest sizes until you are wearing the size that allows complete overlap of the velcro on the cumberbun, with the bun bolted in the inside most position, as this puts the weights at the right place, forward on your hips. THEN change the shoulders, if necessary, to put the buckle in the correct height position on the breast.
The Zeagle BC's just dive better than other products sold in the market, and they don't move around on you at all but proper fit is necessary or you will be fighting the gear on every dive.
I recomend you try on a mens Ranger bc for size, and then swap out the shoulder straps for correct length.
You might need an L or XL bc with XS or S shoulders.
The size really doesn't matter, it's just whatever it takes to get a great diving BC fits properly. Then you can cut the size tabs off if they bother you.:)

Stacy -

Are you using the BC for anything other than drysuit diving?

Did you only have to expand the waist panels to compensate for the extra bulk of the drysuit, or would you need to expand it for a wetsuit as well?

How often are you diving drysuit as opposed to wetsuit?

The reason I ask this is, if you are making wholesale changes to accommodate a drysuit that you are only going to wear a few times a year, you might find that the new size is too large once you try diving with a 3mm or 5mm suit...but since you are in the Bay area, maybe you always dive heavy suits??

Just trying to gather more info... :)

Scott

So I'm just starting out - but it's my intention to do a lot of local diving.
I'd been considering using the drysuit even on trips to more temperate locations (Cairns, Cancun),
given that I'll use it for all my training, but if I can dive with substantially less weight in a 3mm wetsuit, then maybe I'll order one of those for travel.

you said you were using a steel 100, this is a great size but i tried a steel 100 it was the nice white high pressure faber. that tank is super heavy and if you are to back heavy you will roll like you noticed so i got rid of it. try an al80 and see if you are better i know you are looking to lose lead but this may be the issue. i dive drysuit and a ranger bcd with 30# total in the releaceable pockets and an al80 and i dont roll anymore. good luck and let us know how you do.

Back
Top Bottom