Suit cases and garbage bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charged

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everybody,

I have $2,500 in my dive gear. Is there any justification or bad thing in simply using a $50 suit case from Sears to hold it all? Or should I buy something more specific for the job...like something made from Akona?

Also, what are you folks using to throw your wet wet suits in after your dive? A garbage bag or a dry-bag?

Thanks
Eric

I use one that is a large Costco brand and another roller I have had for a long time.

My recommendation would be to keep it plain and simple so as not to draw attention to it. Also get something other than black. There are just too many black suit cases and I have had people pull my suit cases off the belt a couple of times.

An instructor I dive with took a paint marker and wrote his name/number on his dive equipment. Perhaps I could mark my last name across my black suitcase to individualize it?

So theres no real benifit from using an actual dive case? Or if there is, think I could stuff it into my Sears suitcase so as to get the benifit but hide it?

In general there is no real benefit in using dive luggage.

Usually they don't want to see that monster on the boat you you'll want a mesh bag of sorts to bring what you need for the day. So in the end it's usually just for transport.

When packing it may not make sense to put all of the scuba gear in one case since it helps to mix and match densities to make it all fit in the weight and size restrictions.

Why advertise that this piece of luggage holds $2500, worth of toys?

For local diving the wet stuff goes into Rubbermaid totes. I have used garbage bags when I need to squeeze things in. I still keep a few in a pocket of my dive bag. If air travel is involved things should be fairly dry after the surface day at the end. Also remember to allow for dampness weight when packing things.

For the record, mine came from JC Penny.

Pete

Last edited:
As long as it's sturdy, it doesn't matter where your bag came from or how much/little you paid for it. Strudy zippers and handles are quite important. To mark my bag, I have two distinctive lime green luggage tags. I put the usual information on the clear side and write my name in large letters on the lime green side. Why two tags? One could get pulled off during transport, this has happened to me. I also pin my business card and a copy of my packing list inside of a ziplock bag to the inside of the luggage in a visable place. I keep a copy of the packing list in my dive log. I dive internationally and I've never had anyone help themselves to anything in my dive bag. I also use the TSA approved luggage lock and photograph my bag. Having the photo on my digital camera came in handy when my gear was delayed. Locally I just put my gear in my mesh bag. I take a tarp if I will be shore diving to place my gear on.

If you will be packing your gear, be sure to dry your wetsuit. It will weigh more if it is wet and if your luggage gets delayed, it's going to stink. If you can't get it dry, wrap it in a towel and put it in a plastic bag. Locally, I just wrap it in the towel and put it in my mesh bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom