Suit Suggestion for PNG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segal3

Reaction score
Before you ask me if I'm out of my mind :) , let me explain...

In Maui (13 dives over 4 days) with 77-79deg F water, I wore a 3mm farmer john (mine) under a 3mm fullsuit (rented) - extreme comfort, no chill, no overheating, dives easily extending over 1hr length...

SoCal 54deg water...ok, here I wear my Pinnacle Polar 7mm semidry...it works...ignore all this, it doesn't apply

Puerto Vallarta Mexico, temperature ranging from 77-65deg F (crazy thermoclines)...wore the Pinnacle Polar 7mm semidry, very comfortable in the 77deg water, and appreciated it many times when the water temperature dropped quickly to the ~65-69range...outlasted a few divemasters who got cold on their 3mm shorties...

I'm going to PNG in June...water temperature looks to be mid-80s surface at last check (http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/sst/latest_sst.gif )...and I'm wondering - what type of exposure suit do I take? I'm big into u/w photography, so I'm not moving around too much creating heat, and being thin means I'm slightly more susceptible to cold - I don't want to be. Based on the trend, what would you all suggest I take? I believe the semidry is out of the question :)...but possibly the farmerjohn and something to go over for a little extra warmth?

Thanks in advance...

*edit* - fixed spelling */end edit*

~Matt Segal

Such interesting responses...

?

~Matt Segal

Back
Top Bottom