Suitability of Compressed Neoprene Drysuits for Technical Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A big "mucky muck" technical diving instructor told me recently to avoid "neoprene" drysuits for technical diving. His main objection, as far as I understand it, is the drastic change in buoyancy when going deeper. I am not sure if he meant ALL neoprene drysuits or just the regular uncompressed neoprene suits. I wondering if there is consensuses on this matter within the technical diving community. According to my research, modern neoprene drysuit manufacturers use some sort of a "compressed" neoprene that isn't supposed to compressed as the diver goes deeper. O'Three, for example, has a special type of compressed neoprene suit material that was tested down to 300 meters without showing any compression at all.

What say you technical divers and technical dive instructors?

(I am not sure if this "mucky muck" tech. instructors includes DUI's CF200 crushed neoprene suit in his caution or not).

I used the Othree suit that you are talking about. It is highly compressed and dense neoprene that was specifically made for technical diving. It was heavy as hell and totally bullet-proof. I would have no problems doing advanced trimix dives in it. If I was diving ice conditions then that may be my suit of choice. Having said that, I don't think that it is the best suit for technical diving for reasons that have nothing to do with buoyancy loss.

My present suit is a shell suit (Ursuit version sold by Deep6.) It is made of a much thinner fabric that enables a closer to the body fit. When I deflate the suit it clings very gently virtually becoming part of my body like a second skin. I normally dive it with less air to have a wetsuit type fit and I still have movement. If the Othree was cut that close then the thicker, denser material may compromise freedom of movement. It was stitched to be much looser, keeping in consideration that this was a thicker and denser material. This meant that I was always diving it with more air in my Othree than my present shell suit. The fit was never as good as my shell suit even though it was purchased as a custom suit.

@CAPTAIN SINBAD My main point, is there anything inherently "bad/unacceptable" about using these compressed neoprene suits for technical diving other than them being "heavy suits"?

Which model O'three did you use? What about this suit: Ri 2-100 Flex Drysuit | OThree Custom Drysuits

You can also use normal neoprene drysuits, it's just that it becomes very hard to keep a balanced rig, it also asks for larger wings considering the extra weight you have on the bottom.

A big "mucky muck" technical diving instructor told me recently to avoid "neoprene" drysuits for technical diving. His main objection, as far as I understand it, is the drastic change in buoyancy when going deeper. I am not sure if he meant ALL neoprene drysuits or just the regular uncompressed neoprene suits. I wondering if there is consensuses on this matter within the technical diving community. According to my research, modern neoprene drysuit manufacturers use some sort of a "compressed" neoprene that isn't supposed to compressed as the diver goes deeper. O'Three, for example, has a special type of compressed neoprene suit material that was tested down to 300 meters without showing any compression at all.

What say you technical divers and technical dive instructors?

(I am not sure if this "mucky muck" tech. instructors includes DUI's CF200 crushed neoprene suit in his caution or not).

BM...

Not being a technical diver by any stretch of the imagination...I swear by my custom tailored DUI CF200 Signature suit...I have owned ''bag'' suits and ''other'' variations of neoprene dry-suits...the ''proprietary'' DUI ''crushed'' neoprene in the CF 200 leave all others ''I have owned'' for dead...

I believe comfort and proper sizing to be the prime components when selecting a dry-suit...zipper location...options/colors and features are all personal preferences...

If you're a technical diver yourself...and have dove deeper than 130 feet...I'm sure you've already visited at least some of the pros and cons...of the variations in exposure protection...

I dive my rebreather with 24 pounds of ballast...I have a 55 LB. lift wing...plus whatever buoyancy I may have to ad to my drysuit when at depth...no issues whatsoever...and being perfectly clear...I can't speak for anything below 130 ft...but I'm sure my DUI would be suitable for all technical depth challenges...

Best...

Warren

@CAPTAIN SINBAD My main point, is there anything inherently "bad/unacceptable" about using these compressed neoprene suits for technical diving other than them being "heavy suits"?

Which model O'three did you use? What about this suit: Ri 2-100 Flex Drysuit | OThree Custom Drysuits

Yes I had the same suit which I sold in E-bay for a very low price.

Having more air in the suit than necessary is bad because it results in a wobbly experience. I recall taking this same very suit to do a pool session with doubles and deco bottle during my Intro to Tech class. I was unable to hold steady in 12 feet water because the pressure at 12 feet did not compress the suit to achieve the tightness that was necessary to maintain neutral buoyancy. You should have seen me because I was a freaking circus trying to manage air that refused to leave the suit while I tried to do deco drills etc! The suit behaved well during quarry dives when I was 20ish or below. It would get compressed enough at those depths where there was no air pocket inside, wobbling around. So being heavy was the least of the concerns for me.

Othree may be able to give you an ideal fit if you walk in that store and have them measure you. Since you are in UK, you may be able to get a closer fitting suit but from the looks of it, this is not meant to be a suit that is worn like a second skin. It is cut out to be looser. DUI and Ursuits have somehow mastered the art of stitching the suit to your body with such precision that the suits becomes you. Is that kind of fit achievable with thick and dense neoprene? I am not sure.

@CAPTAIN SINBAD If I decide to go that route, I'll go to their location and have them do the measurements. I am still not decided so far. I am looking at SeaSkins for a membrane suit, possibly Otter. I have gotten quotations from SANTI, Fourth Element and DUI.

What is interesting here in the UK, neoprene drysuits are very popular much more than in the US for sure.

BM...

Not being a technical diver by any stretch of the imagination...I swear by my custom tailored DUI CF200 Signature suit...I have owned ''bag'' suits and ''other'' variations of neoprene dry-suits...the ''proprietary'' DUI ''crushed'' neoprene in the CF 200 leave all others ''I have owned'' for dead...

I believe comfort and proper sizing to be the prime components when selecting a dry-suit...zipper location...options/colors and features are all personal preferences...

If you're a technical diver yourself...and have dove deeper than 130 feet...I'm sure you've already visited at least some of the pros and cons...of the variations in exposure protection...

I dive my rebreather with 24 pounds of ballast...I have a 55 LB. lift wing...plus whatever buoyancy I may have to ad to my drysuit when at depth...no issues whatsoever...and being perfectly clear...I can't speak for anything below 130 ft...but I'm sure my DUI would be suitable for all technical depth challenges...

Best...

Warren

I'd love to own a CF200 MTM and all options but it is out of budget for now. I owned one in the 90's when I owned my dive center in NY and I was a DUI dealer.

@CAPTAIN SINBAD If I decide to go that route, I'll go to their location and have them do the measurements. I am still not decided so far. I am looking at SeaSkins for a membrane suit, possibly Otter. I have gotten quotations from SANTI, Fourth Element and DUI.

What is interesting here in the UK, neoprene drysuits are very popular much more than in the US for sure.

Canadians also like neoprene more. Doesnt surprise me since that Othree suit was the warmest, toastiest suit I had been in. If I am diving in low 30s temperature then I may prefer neoprene over shell suits actually.

Brittanic by Otter looks like one heck of a suit. I saw it in my local quarry and it is right on par with some of the high end models out there.

@BurhanMuntasser if crushed/compressed/stabilized neoprene is unsuitable for technical diving, then we're doing something wrong in cave country as you see a LOT of those suits down there. I'd take a cave cut crushed neo suit like the Ri-2-100 from O3 before I'd take a bag suit for most warm water stuff unless I was travelling

Back
Top Bottom