Summber blowout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finstotheleft

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The "summer blowout" at Joe's this past weekend was fun. There were lots of members of the bluegrass dive club there on both days, along with others. We had a great time! Air fills and rentals courtesy of Innerspace, Bonfire courtesy of Joe, live music courtesy of Bruce and his guitar and Troy and his harmonica.

Diving was good, vis. about 10-12 ft. Water temp. was cozy above 20 ft. (around 75-80), but a bit nippy below that (around 59).

=-)

PatrickM98 once bubbled...
Does anyone know if Joe's is open Mon-Fri? Thanx.

I believe that Joe is only open Monday - Thursday to Instructors. I had heard that he might be opening Friday afternoon to the public but that's only hearsay at this point.

Sounds as if the viz has taken a turn for the worse. I hope if was just a result of the crowds there.

cstreu1026 once bubbled...
Sounds as if the viz has taken a turn for the worse. I hope if was just a result of the crowds there.

That's usually the problem at Joe's. I always try to slide in there early Saturday AM before all of the check out dives commence. If we get rain late Thursday or Friday, the runoff will have it cloudy again this weekend.

I'll have to keep that in mind for this weekend as I plan to get a few dives in on Sunday. I may try and do Blue Springs instead. Besides they have airfills which is a plus.

I was wondering why New Horizon's picked this as there training site? I was not impressed and the vis was horribile. Plus what was the funk on everything? Ohh well at least I got a dive in!

msedivingdoc once bubbled...
I was wondering why New Horizon's picked this as there training site? I was not impressed and the vis was horribile. Plus what was the funk on everything? Ohh well at least I got a dive in!

Joe's isn't the only site that they use. I believe that they also go to Laruel Lake and some others. Perhaps it was the most centralized point for the students that they were teaching at the time.

The "funk" is there all of the time. It happens because of the rainwater runoff from the rock ledge. However, there are days when the quarry has much better viz. Usually early in the morning before the checkout dives start.

Just be glad that Joe didn't carry thru on his idea to put Zebra mussells in there to help clear the water. Really bad idea!

Its not really a surprise that a quarry around here has bad vis after all the storms and warm weather. The only time I have been to Joe's THe viz was fairly good...somewhere in the neighbohood of 30 feet as long as you didn't get too close to any of the classes.

Ooops I bet my last comment may have sounded a little slanderous. I guess I should have asked if conditions were always that way? I need a local site that is close to Lex to dive more often and I guess after being to Mermet and Gilboa, I'm used to the place being a little more interesting. It just seemed that the water was heavily silted with all the funk floating around. I'm glad I took a night/ lowvis class it payed off. Lastly I decided not to dive Sunday because Sat was soo bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom