Summer Drysuit Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NE_SSI_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have recently bought a barley used Whites Fusion Sport drysuit with accesories for $500. This was a great deal and could not pass it up. The suit came with a pinnacle evolution undergarmet and I have a few questions about undergarments when it comes to diving in the summer (water never exceeds 75 on the surface).

When diving early in the season the air is cold so a thick undergarment is comfortable on land, but when the air temperature rises faster than the water (due to specific heat) what are some tips and tricks to stay cool/warm. I have couple questions regarding this subject, so I will list them below. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-If the water is still mid to hgih 50's do I need the pinncale undergarmet? If so, how would I stay cool when the air temperautre is in the upper 70's. I am not sure about the temperature so asume that they could range from 54-60.

-Relating to the question above, would a hood (7/3mm) and gloves (5mm) be needed for dives similar to this?

-What temperature range is tollerable, but still comfortable, in the fusion without an undergarmet? I ask this because I have seen someone dive with only a bathing suit underneath her fusion.

I should clarify a little more, I dive in a lake so there are thermoclines. This means that there are points where the water temp can drop 15 degress within a couple of feet. The surface temp is only at the surface, and at depth it can lower significantly. Also, the temp of the water nxst weekend is probably going to be mid to upper 50s, so thats the water temp I am mainly concered about.

I am signed up to dive this saturday so a quick response would be great.

Thanks.

you actually only need what thermo protection that you need. Meaning what I would use and what you would use is different. I If I was diving in water that was 75 degrees I would be diving wet with a 3 mill shorty and be gong this is great. If you mean that the surface temp was 75 then the water may only be 50 or 60 then you can talk dry suit I would wear a light moister wicking like under armor at this temp and then plan on taking the top 1/2 of the suit of at the surface interval. Bring extra thermo and if you get cold on the first dive add some at the surface. Everyone is different

for the hood if it is 60 I am sure that a 5 mil hood and gloves would be more than warm enough for you. I use a 5 mil at 35 degree water and I am good for about 60 to 70 minutes before I get cold.

Always plan for the temp at depth!!!

I dive the great lakes and mid west quarries and in the summer months the temp at depth is between 40 and 60 degrees while the surface temps can be mid 80's to mid 90's. The best you can do in these conditions is peel down the top part, try to find shade and make sure EVERYTHING is ready to go before you suit up - air on, mask / fins access-able, BC rigged, etc. give yourself a 5-8 min window to suit up, gear up and get in the drink! You will feel cooler the minute you get in. Once in, inflate your BC a bit and give yourself a few minutes to cool down and get your breathing under control! As mentioned, a wicking base layer also helps!

I used the same thermals and suit from the Fall to the Winter until now. The water temperature doesn't change that much here, and I like being comfortable underwater. That often means a little bit of a sweat when walking out during shore dives, though.

In the water temp your talking about from 50-60's you'll need hood and gloves for sure. You always want the base layer to be a wicking layer like under armor. The best thing I've found for this is the Whites MK0 which is a full length wicking skin for way cheaper then any under armor you'll find. Like everyone else says stay in the shade with your suit half on until your ready to get in. If you sweat too much you'll be just as cold during your dive as you would in a wetsuit because you have all the mosture now locked in your suit that's now being cooled. And last if you haven't taken a dry suit class yet take one it will make your dives alot safer and more enjoyable.

We have the same problems in Puget Sound, where the water temperature never gets above the low 50's, but the air temperature can get into the 90's in the summertime. The trick is to get EVERYTHING ready before you get dressed; then, if there is any delay after you are in your suit, go down to the water and get yourself wet (and I do this WITHOUT hood, so my hair is wet and cool).

In the 50's, I'm wearing the Halo or Mk3; in the upper 60's, I go to 200g Thinsulate, in the 70's, I dive a set of Lands End polarfleece sweats under the Fusion, and in the Red Sea, with water temperatures in the low 80's, I just wore my Diving Concepts base layer under the suit.

You want something covering all of your skin, because the inside of the suit will get damp and clammy from perspiration, and it doesn't feel good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom