Summer is here and poaching is on the rise again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadrewvideo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Aloha Ohana SBer's
Anyone who loves to dive the North Shore of Oahu as much as I, listen up...
We can all help keep Pupukea MLCD vibrant and healthy, but it takes a little commitment.
If you witness fishing violations in the MLCD (Waimea to Sharks Cove) then please call DLNR enforcement. The more people call, the more likely they will get an officer on scene.
Here is the number to call if you see fishing violations.

587-0077

Here is a link if you need more information about boundries, regulations and how you can help.

Hui Malama O pupukea Waimea

Mahalo and lets keep our ocean healthy for the future!!!
ScubaDrew

drew I have known you for a long time and you are in that sellect group of people i have the up most respect for cause you talk the talk and walk the walk daily. and if i was up that way id be right there with you. but honestly its almost pointless to post something like this on the board. they just dont care. when its time to talk they all got something to say but when its time to step up the talkers are nowhere to be found. good luck bro.

I've called that number countless times, but have yet to see anyone get busted by it. After calling, I usually just approach the poachers myself. I figure if they get harassed enough by honest citizens, they'll stop going there.

I've called that number countless times, but have yet to see anyone get busted by it. After calling, I usually just approach the poachers myself. I figure if they get harassed enough by honest citizens, they'll stop going there.

I feel your pain! They do not have nearly enough resources for adequate coverage of the Marine Park...They need an officer on patrol 24/7 in the Pupukea area in the summer.
The way I look at it, there must be people here on SB that care enough to help so I am giving it a shot.
Also, if more people call that hotline then the demand will call for more attention.
I do also approach violators, but some cases it is not recomended, and I cannot promote that idea due to liability.

I care deeply for the MLCD and I can tell you that someone has poached a bunch of Uhu already this summer. I am gone for 2+ months this summer, so I want all of you out there that love to dive and enjoy the MLCD to help me out and keep your eyes open and call!!! It has to start somewhere!!
Mahalo,
Drew

FWIW...

I've seen plenty of people get busted for fishing in Pupukea - at least there's an active deterrent.

Also, seems like a lot of people are just ignorant and don't know that it's off limits (although you'd think the signs would make it clear). More often than not, they're quite willing to listen if you're nice about it.

rgbmatt i totally agree with you when it comes to people not knowing. my first and only dive on three tables as soon as i saw the fish i knew it had to be protected and the fish dont run from you over there so even though i didnt know for sure i did have a feeling it was a protected area. but most people just dont know. but drew is correct when he says its not wise to approach these people use the number.

Drew, I went to the link and couldn't find the boundries easily.

Anyway, I have said something to those I see fishing in the tidepools but I was told (here on SB) that fishing in the tidepools is allowed.

Then I guess I will, also.

I've seen plenty of people get busted for fishing in Pupukea -

Also, seems like a lot of people are just ignorant and don't know that it's off limits (although you'd think the signs would make it clear). More often than not, they're quite willing to listen if you're nice about it.

I have also had good results calling DLNR - it depends on their workload at the time of your call.

Approaching and informing the violators can be kind of risky.

Those people that don't know the area is protected are usually cooperative and are OK with the information.

The ones that know its protected are usually sneaky about their actions and can be confrontational.
-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom