Sun Protection Tips & Tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What are your tips and tricks for sun-protection?
  • Sun protection when...
    • ...above the water, such as on a boat or shore with little shade.
    • ...on the surface, such as swim back to a boat or shore.
    • ...underwater, if shallow.
  • Sun protection types...
    • ...preferred sunscreen.
    • ...preferred clothing items.
    • ...other items or advice, such as shades, awnings, tents, etc.
(I'm intentionally keeping this as a very general purpose thread to be useful to everyone, and not focusing too much on my own situation.)

Inexpensive Hat

There are several equivalents to this on amazon, ebay and elsewhere for a similar price. It handles being wet just fine. The face-mask part isn't very useful on a moving boat, but works ok. It's not very attractive, but it's not terrible for a little under $12/each.

The only other downsides is it's usually in the way when donning scuba-gear, and while it does fold up, is bulkier than I'd like for stashing in a pocket for surface-swims. (I'd like something more compact if anyone has suggestions, perhaps a nylon facemask-hood sort of thing)

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Water Resistant and Non-Greasy Sunscreen

Compared to most sunscreen, it's less smelly and less greasy, and seems to do a good job. It's probably best to re-apply after dives. Since it's not in a spray-form, it can be difficult to reach a few areas. There may be better options out there, but I'm fairly happy with this.

Kepeace Men's UPF 50+ Sun Protection Hoodie

Lightweight, long-sleeve, hood, reasonably cool in hot-weather. Again not attractive, but seems to get the job done. It doesn't cover everything, such as your hands and face, but it seems reasonably effective at preventing sunburns on those spots on my back and shoulders I might have missed with sunscreen.

I've tried wearing it while diving, such as no wetsuit or under a wetsuit and found it tends to trap air which is annoying. So I usually don't wear it while diving. I suppose I could poke a few holes in it.

I wear a sun shirt, wide brimmed hat, and a buff pulled up if the sun is really strong. I leave the buff loose around my neck while diving.

If you're diving without gloves, don't forget to put a dab of sunscreen on the back of your hands. That's one part of my body I've never once gotten a sunburn on topside, but have gotten it several times while diving

ThinkSport is my favorite sunscreen. It's reef-safe, nice on the skin, and smells faintly of Fruit Loops.
Kepeace Men's UPF 50+ Sun Protection Hoodie

Lightweight, long-sleeve, hood, reasonably cool in hot-weather. Again not attractive, but seems to get the job done. It doesn't cover everything, such as your hands and face, but it seems reasonably effective at preventing sunburns on those spots on my back and shoulders I might have missed with sunscreen.

I've tried wearing it while diving, such as no wetsuit or under a wetsuit and found it tends to trap air which is annoying. So I usually don't wear it while diving. I suppose I could poke a few holes in it.
You may be interested in this similar thin hooded shirt, that also has a gaiter built in:

If you're diving without gloves, don't forget to put a dab of sunscreen on the back of your hands. That's one part of my body I've never once gotten a sunburn on topside, but have gotten it several times while diving
So, the FBI spying on me .... again? /sigh

20230417_163011.jpg

Yep, that's the classic back-of-hand sunburn right there! The straight line across the wrist is a dead giveaway.

You should see the goofy-looking sunburns I have gotten! Since I wear my dive computer on the back of my hand, one hand will look just like yours, and the other one will look the same, but with a crisp 1.5" circle of unburnt skin right in the middle of it. Next time I get one (hopefully never...) I'll take a photo

Yep, that's the classic back-of-hand sunburn right there! The straight line across the wrist is a dead giveaway.

You should see the goofy-looking sunburns I have gotten! Since I wear my dive computer on the back of my hand, one hand will look just like yours, and the other one will look the same, but with a crisp 1.5" circle of unburnt skin right in the middle of it. Next time I get one (hopefully never...) I'll take a photo
I was wearing gloves and a wetsuit. The gloves have an open-back, whose shape is nicely imprinted on my hand. And I happened to be diving in the 5 to 20ft range. So you basically nailed it.

Do you want to sit on the outside or in the shade? I'll sit inside in the shade.
I prefer that too, when the shade is an option.

I buy a big tube of waterproof (80 min) spf 30 or more, whatever brand is cheap, smear it all over hair face beard hand and legs, wear a hat when possible, rash guard.

had the cancer cut off twice so I now take care to cover every exposed part and stay in the shade when possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom