Sunday May 4th, Oil Rig Dive!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all,

Thanks for a fun day of diving. Here is the video I promised:
Underwater Logs #5 - Oil Rig Grace

Also, I have other cool videos too in the link below.
I'll look forward to future dives with you guys!

Make sure to watch in High Quality! (under View Count)

I've never been to an oil rig dive and couldn't make it on this one. I'm so glad you shared your experience through this video. The music selection was good and so were the captions.

Did everyone get to hang out with the Sea Lions?

No sea lions on my dives, but it was still a great day out.

As someone once pointed out, a bad day of diving is better than a good day at the office... and this day wasn't half bad!

Dive 1 was shortened due to buddy's weighting issues, no big deal, it happens. Dive #2 was great! Shame about the vis... the oil rigs are a lot easier to truly appreciate with at least 20' vis (or better yet, 40' +)... you can't really get the same perspective on the massive size with less than 10' of vis.

It actually opened up to almost 20' down around 100', but I was at the max MOD for the 34% I was diving, so I couldn't really check things out lower than that. Dive 2 I made it down to 113', and it was about the same, so we came back up to 80' or so. It really closed up above 80', though. It was cool to see the school of monster-sized Blacksmith, though! I've never seen them that big before!

Dive 3 was a disappointment... we made it down to the wreck, but between the vis and concern we were going to make everyone wait, we thumbed it, so I only got to see the wreck for a couple of minutes... perhaps 10' or so of it, which seems like a lot when you can only see 2' worth at a time! If I had known how long we were going to stay in that spot, though, I definitely would have done the dive, poor vis or not. Looked like a neat wreck, I wouldn't mind hitting it sometime in better conditions.

Kalani, I kinda wish I'd stayed down longer for dive #3 as well...but with all of us heading down the bowline at the same time, and the horrible 2' vis, and the fact that I kept losing my buddy in the murk and then would think someone else was him (because it was too dark to see any distinquishing details), it was just too much of a cluster-f* down there. So we thumbed it at about 7 min. If there hadn't been so MANY of us bumping into each other in the same spot I might have tried to move along the ship a bit to see more of it. I'd love to get out there again some time when the vis is better - what little I saw of it looked interesting anyway.

Thanks for organizing this trip Rick!!!

Though I would have preferred better viz for my first rig dive, I'm now really looking forward to my next!

Francis: Thanks for the video! I can now share the experience with my girlfriend and family.

jvdk: Great photos! I decided to keep mine turned off, but I did see one large anenome that had 6-8 Hermissidia fo all sizes on it.

Well I was too tired to cook them last night so I cooked them today. I decided to saute in butter fresh garlic & some cooking sherry they came out great.

John

Well I was too tired to cook them last night so I cooked them today. I decided to saute in butter fresh garlic & some cooking sherry they came out great.

John

so, you couldnt invite your favorite dive buddy over to share? :p

Back
Top Bottom