Sunset House to Stingray City?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barry Goode

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm heading to Grand Cayman (& Little Cayman) on Friday for a 9-day dive trip. I'm curious what divers familiar with the Caymans consider the best dive sites on those two islands (best in terms of marine life).

Also, I definitely want to dive Stingray City but the people at Sunset House where I'm staying have been noncommital about getting me there. Any suggestions to make sure I don't miss out on SRC?

Thanks.

Barry

Barry Goode:
Hi,

I'm heading to Grand Cayman (& Little Cayman) on Friday for a 9-day dive trip. I'm curious what divers familiar with the Caymans consider the best dive sites on those two islands (best in terms of marine life).

Also, I definitely want to dive Stingray City but the people at Sunset House where I'm staying have been noncommital about getting me there. Any suggestions to make sure I don't miss out on SRC?

Thanks.

Barry

Hi Barry,
I wouldn't want to name particular sites because anywhere can be great on the day depending on conditions and luck but my favourite area in Grand Cayman is the North wall. Spectacular drop-offs, great corals and the best chances of seeing spotted eagle rays. The only problem is that it can get rough out there at this time of year. if you only have a couple of days to dive here then you can't guarantee good enough weather for it. As for Little Cayman it has to be Bloody Bay wall.

There are operations going out to dive Stingray City every day so you shouldn't have a problem finding someone to take you if Sunset Divers can't.
PM me for a phone number and we can make sure you get there.

CJ.

It's been over 2.5 decades since my last visit to Grand Cayman but this may give you an idea why they are noncommital. SH is well south of Seven Mile Beach. SRC is in the lagoon with sea passage opening on the north of the island. Weather and prevailing seas rounding the point can make the transit a bit dodgy. Sunset House was really intent of delivering on promises when I was staying there, and wouldn't shine you on about what "may" be possible. Ask them to set up a day trip by taxi to one of the north end operators for you if the weather is not conductive to the transit on their boat. This should make the excursion an easy trip, if a bit pricy for the land transport. There may even be operators with pontoon boats IN the lagoon for snorkeling trips by now, which would make this a "all weather" trip.

FT

Barry Goode:
Hi,

Thanks.

Barry

I'll have to agree with FredT here... Sunset House to Sting Ray City is a long boat ride from the south end of Grand Cayman, around the north end and into the inner lagoon area.

Your best bet to do this is to book with a group that specializes in it. One of the dive operators that operates on the north end of 7 mile beach or near Spanish Reef. There are boats that do nothing but Sting Ray city trips, but those are mostly snorkle trips for the cruise boaters. They leave from a marina that is on the "inside" of the lagoon and they you drive up to it.

what these guys said (get one of the dedicated boats to take you)

also, i'd be interested in a post-trip report about Stingray City and the diving
in general post-hurricane

I once did SRC from Sunset House, the boat didn't leave from the hotel, they drove us to a dock in north sound and we went on a boat they kept there. Quite some time ago but I wouldn't think it has changed, I can't see them hauling halfway around the island. Maybe they're noncommital because they're just not getting enough people right now to do the trip on a regular basis? Or they're short a boat or something? Just speculating.

And yeah, if they're not going, someone will.

Thanks for all the advice.

It sounds like it should be no problem getting someone to take me to Stingray City.

I'm interested in which dive sites you all recommend for the west end of Grand Cayman.

Barry :crafty:

One more note.... there are actually kinda "two" Sting Ray Cities. Both are very close. One is in 3 to 6 feet of water and they take snorkle boats there. The other is in 10 to 20 feet of water for divers.

Don't worry, the sting rays will come. they feed them frozen squid and they get used to the free snacks provided by divers and come looking for it.

SSH is not short of boats at all. When they operate their own SRC dive they have normally left from Harbour House marina in the Red Bay area (just east of Hurley's at Grand Harbour, for those who know Cayman landmarks).

Lately, due to some extremely heavy demand from groups of divers, SSH has been "borrowing" staff from other operations in order to meet demand and be able to run sufficient west side dives to meet demand. Unless one of the groups schedules a SRC dive in advance, they may not have sufficient staff availablity to run the dive themselves.

The stingrays are hungry and the dives there lately have been great! Lots of rays and regular visitis from the moray eels in the area make it a must-do on any Grand Cayman dive vacation.

Incidentally, the dive business in GC seems to be on a rebound post-Hurricane Ivan. A difficulty some operators are encountering is that new ex-patriot staff cannot be hired and brought to the island until housing is secured. There is still a substantial shortage of affordable housing and many island residents are still in temporary accomodations.

Best sites for marine life in my opinion:-

Grand Cayman - Big Tunnel/Turtle Farm

Little Cayman - Randy's Gazebo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom