Super High Performance Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish:
Isn't Ellyatt also the guy who has a lawsuit pending against Abyss?

If so, is that for their reg or thier deco software? If it is for the reg, maybe that will reflect on some of the issues he raises...Although I thk the Abyss regs were based more on Poesidon (sp?) technology...?

If it's a different guy, sorry for the sidetrack...

Yes,
Deco software.

rescuediver009:
I must say that although viewed initially as a professional I think that it is just a Mares selling thing. I think that this was the response that I was looking for. Yes that is an Apeks around his neck and on his tank and on his stage bottle. So I guess he is full of s**t then. I think that althugh there are many statements in the article that are easily debated and frequently are here on the board, I think that the two particularly about environmental seals and reg simplicity are inane. Thanks for all the replies Keep them coming.
Look at the date of the artical in divernet. He said that he used other regs :wink:
He may be controversial but one thing no one can take from him for now is the knowledge that no one else was deeper :D

CRDiver:
I don't think Mark Ellyatt, despite his genuine deep diving ability, is necessarily an authority on regulator design. He's quite a controversial figure in his native Great Britain... In any event, here's an article connecting him to the development of the Abyss Explorer computer:

Awesome research. That is more of the answers that I was looking for. some of the concepts mentioned in the article were just the opposite of everythnig I know. And by no means am I an expert in regulator design any more than he is, but I just didn't quite agree with his logic.
Thanks again.

C'mon DA Aquamaster, I know you're out there, get in on this.

I have said this before, but I wll mention it again. My CCR is driven by two Apeks TX-50's, and I now have five Apeks TX-100's for bail-out and back-up. They are great "breathers" at depth, and very reliable!!! :wink:

No offense but I'll have to repeat it again to all the Apeks fans. The fact that there are other good regs doesn't mean that someone is bashing your reg.
And to all the people who do not know the history of Apeks, let me remind you that up to the TX series by Apeks, they were considered among the worst regs on the market and life threatening piece of gear :wink:
I personally don't like Apeks because after trying them side by side with other regs, I've noticed that they were subjectively inferior in their breathing characteristics compared to other regs. It may have been a reg that wasn't set well but it was brand new when I tested it (Apeks TX100).

aquaoren:
No offense but I'll have to repeat it again to all the Apeks fans. The fact that there are other good regs doesn't mean that someone is bashing your reg.
I don't recall anyone mentioning that Apeks regs in particular were not good (except you....).
aquaoren:
And to all the people who do not know the history of Apeks, let me remind you that up to the TX series by Apeks, they were considered among the worst regs on the market and life threatening piece of gear :wink:
I think that we are talking about the here and now of regs.
aquaoren:
I personally don't like Apeks because after trying them side by side with other regs, I've noticed that they were subjectively inferior in
Subjectively inferior. I think that is all that needs to be said. I think that most people favour objective opinions as they are... well... objective. Not buyest, or favouring. I have never known anyone to dislike an apeks reg. Hmmm. Maybe they are a good performer. Don't get me wrong I am not saying Apeks or the highway, everyone has their preference. But to say that a world class reg is not world class because you tried it once and are not even sure about its condition, is not very substantial.
Let me ask you something. Do you believe that John Bennett was a good diver and knew his stuff? Because he trusted Apeks down past 300m too.
Anyhow, this was not intended to be a debate on which regs are good or bad, but rather the contents of the article.

rescuediver009:
I don't recall anyone mentioning that Apeks regs in particular were not good (except you....).
I think that we are talking about the here and now of regs.
Subjectively inferior. I think that is all that needs to be said. I think that most people favour objective opinions as they are... well... objective. Not buyest, or favouring. I have never known anyone to dislike an apeks reg. Hmmm. Maybe they are a good performer. Don't get me wrong I am not saying Apeks or the highway, everyone has their preference. But to say that a world class reg is not world class because you tried it once and are not even sure about its condition, is not very substantial.
Let me ask you something. Do you believe that John Bennett was a good diver and knew his stuff? Because he trusted Apeks down past 300m too.
Anyhow, this was not intended to be a debate on which regs are good or bad, but rather the contents of the article.

You've got me completely wrong but partly because of wrong word choice on my part.
I still sometimes have trouble with English as it is my 5th language.
I never said that the current Apeks regs aren't good. I actually think they are very good regs but I prefer other...
Let me tell you about my test again. Buddy and I, 2 tanks with H-valves, 4 different regs (Apeks TX100, Scubapro MK25/S600, Poseidon Jetstream, Mares MR22 Abyss), 25-30 meter depth. The feeling I had about the regs(OBJECTIVLY :wink: ) The Mares was the nicest breather, followed by the Poseidon, Scubapro and Apeks. This is my PERSONAL feeling about these regs. None of them was so bad that I wouldn't like to use them. No wonder, they are all top regs :eyebrow:
This wasn't the only time I dove an Apeks. When someone wants to try out my Abyss, I gladly swap regs. Some of the people had Apeks and some went out and bought an Abyss after trying it out for only one dive :11:
I actually was leaning toward the TX 100 because it has such a nice hose routing for single tank setup (similar to the Abyss, BTW).
John Bennet used Apeks, Mark Ellyat used Mares, other will use Poseidon or whatever other reg they will trust.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a technician or an engineer but the points that were brought up in the article appear to be logical and nothing that was said in the debate until now proved him wrong. Some doubted the validity for most diver but not the facts themself. Maybe someone more experienced in the design of regs could join in and help out?
BTW, no offense because I may be wrong but when reading your responses, I couldn't help myself but notice how quickly and easily you've dismissed the writer and article. Together with you being a proud Apeks-man, I had the feeling you didn't get the answer you were looking for and decided to mark it as a Mares advertisement, which it could be but still doesn't change the facts and that they are possibly true.

aquaoren:
Let me tell you about my test again. Buddy and I, 2 tanks with H-valves, 4 different regs (Apeks TX100, Scubapro MK25/S600, Poseidon Jetstream, Mares MR22 Abyss), 25-30 meter depth. The feeling I had about the regs(OBJECTIVLY :wink: ) The Mares was the nicest breather, followed by the Poseidon, Scubapro and Apeks. This is my PERSONAL feeling about these regs. None of them was so bad that I wouldn't like to use them. No wonder, they are all top regs :eyebrow:
that is interesting and I will not dispute what you have experienced first hand. But even if the apeks or another reg was the winner (in your eyes) I would always have to play devil's advocate and question the proper tuning of all the regs or lack there of. Anyways, the nice thing about one of them (poseidon) is that it will breathe like that down to I thinnk about 600ft. while the others wouldn't. Obviously practicality has to come in somewhere.

I actually was leaning toward the TX 100 because it has such a nice hose routing for single tank setup (similar to the Abyss, BTW).
Mr. Bennet's favourite

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a technician or an engineer but the points that were brought up in the article appear to be logical and nothing that was said in the debate until now proved him wrong. Some doubted the validity for most diver but not the facts themself. Maybe someone more experienced in the design of regs could join in and help out?
BTW, no offense because I may be wrong but when reading your responses, I couldn't help myself but notice how quickly and easily you've dismissed the writer and article. Together with you being a proud Apeks-man, I had the feeling you didn't get the answer you were looking for and decided to mark it as a Mares advertisement, which it could be but still doesn't change the facts and that they are possibly true.
i have not dismissed anything here. I only question some of the principles that he had mentioned as they were contrary to what I have learned and experienced. As for the proud Apeks man thing. I am not a Apeks only man or anything. It is just what I use and what I specialize in hen it comes to service. I really don't get a comission.... ha ha I don't think that the design of the reg had very much to do with the article. Instead I think that it has more to do with the add ons, the env kits, hose diameters, etc... that is the part that I was interested in anyways.

rescuediver009:
that is interesting and I will not dispute what you have experienced first hand. But even if the apeks or another reg was the winner (in your eyes) I would always have to play devil's advocate and question the proper tuning of all the regs or lack there of. Anyways, the nice thing about one of them (poseidon) is that it will breathe like that down to I thinnk about 600ft. while the others wouldn't. Obviously practicality has to come in somewhere.

Mr. Bennet's favourite

i have not dismissed anything here. I only question some of the principles that he had mentioned as they were contrary to what I have learned and experienced. As for the proud Apeks man thing. I am not a Apeks only man or anything. It is just what I use and what I specialize in hen it comes to service. I really don't get a comission.... ha ha I don't think that the design of the reg had very much to do with the article. Instead I think that it has more to do with the add ons, the env kits, hose diameters, etc... that is the part that I was interested in anyways.
Didn't Apeks go the way of larger diameter hoses for their primaries as well?

aquaoren:
Didn't Apeks go the way of larger diameter hoses for their primaries as well?
Yep, the ATX100 & ATX200 come with 1/2".

On the topic of metal vs plastic 2nd stage housings, things get different as water temps approach & fall below the freezing point.
My experience has been that metal is less likely to frost up above the freezing point, but more likely to freeze up when the water temps get below freezing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom