Superb vis yesterday at Porteau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradnerBoy

Contributor
Reaction score
We were VERY pleasantly surprised at the vis afforded us on the incoming tide yesterday...not to mention the awesome weather. As an added bonus, when we began our dive, aside from the Navy diving outside the park boundary, we were the only two people in the water.

You could have skied on Howe Sound yesterday morning, so we took a leisurely surface swing out to the Nakaya and dropped down to 67'. You could pretty much make out the bottom a few feet under the surface, once your eyes adjusted. And "finding" the Nakaya, well, let's just say we didn't have to look too hard.

The poor girl has certainly seen better days and I'm not sure how much longer that port side is going to hold up. I haven't been down to see her in a few months, but I can definitely notice she's degraded.

After a counter-clockwise circumnavigation from the starboard stern, Claus spotted a decent sized octo who was inside what appeared to be a rolled piece of laminate material, not metal.

We then took a heading over to the Granthall, which took us over the small "debris field" about 50' from the Nakaya. There's the large, square, steel object that sits about 5' high. Always wondered what that is? Anyhow, poked around for an octo, but no one was home, so we continued up-slope towards the Granthall.

As we slowly ascended up to about 35', you could see some thin layers containing minor cloudiness, but if you stayed close to the bottom, even at 35', the via was still very good.

We ended up coming upon the concrete structures ahead and to the right of the Granthall, missing her bow by about 30', but when we realized where we were and turned to the right...there she was! You could easily make out the entire bow, from bottom to top and easily half way down her starboard side. In addition, we could see the jungle gym and all of the concrete structures...of course, the large, white plumose were like lamps shining everywhere. Floating there, being able to see all this, was somewhat eerie in that, in all the dives I've done at Porteau, I've never had that perspective. I guess I've never been there with vis greater than 20' or so.

We circumnavigated the Granthall, cruised past the JG, found, then followed the fire hose past the Centennial (again, for the first time I could see the entire vessel) and made our way back along the sand, up the "hill" and continued underwater to within about 5' of the steps. We surfaced at about 60 minutes with big grins on our faces.

We recollected the dive sitting in Ya Ya's at Horseshoe Bay having a couple pints, some seafood chowder and wishing the bar tender would dress that way every day and not just for Halloween.

Good times, indeed.

That's what made Halloween so amusing.

An excuse for a lot of the girlie folk to, as my missus would say, slut it up.

Makes me want to get out diving again soon. I just did a little maintenance on the drysuit yesterday. Treated the latex seals and applied some zipper wax (first time I've touched it since our Port Hardy trip) Let me know when you are planning to go out again and I'll see if it works out for me/us.

I think we're planning a few dives to caufiled on sat Stuart.

She's says it like it's a bad thing.

Hardly! She was all about 'slutin' it up. They'd hit the clubs showing more goodies than normal and say, "HEY! It's Halloween", like they needed an excuse for a nipple to pop out

..."Hehehehe, Opps!"

:mooner:

Hardly! She was all about 'slutin' it up. They'd hit the clubs showing more goodies than normal and say, "HEY! It's Halloween", like they needed an excuse for a nipple to pop out

..."Hehehehe, Opps!"

:mooner:

many of my bouncing stories involved carrying girls out, putting them down outside the club only to have some titties greet me, sometimes a vag.

god bless bouncing and idiotic drinkers.

Sounds like a great time at ol' Porteau! Not sure I believe you on the vis though... at Porteau, really???

It's been quite a while since I've been out there as well... perhaps regular visits to the Nakaya are in order to pay respects and an watch nature take it's course.

Thanks for the story. We certainly are lucky living where we do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom