Supplemental Equipment Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gxsr_sarge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I've recently heard of a few horror stories of expensive dive equipment being lost (or stolen) by airlines. The airlines have a very small limit (around $3000?). I think DAN covers a small amount if the equipment is lost/damaged in connection with a diving accident ($2000?). Not sure what my Homeowner's policy covers (I'll check soon). I'll be heading off to Mexico soon for some cave training and will be taking close to $10K of gear (in replacement cost)!

Does anyone have any experience with a supplemental insurance carrier called H20Insurance.com (Senn, Dunn out of Greensboro, NC)? Or are there any other options or ideas?

Thanks!

PS - You may be asking what this has to do with DIR? Nothing really - I just value your opinion and know we have expensive toys! :D

Some of the travel insurence companies has the option of gear coverage, or so I have been told. You may check with a LDS to see if they have any suggestions. The good thing about Scuba Board is someone will have the answer.

My home insurance covers me for any item, as long as it is less than $1000 per item. So definitely worth checking your home policy.

My home insurance covers me for any item, as long as it is less than $1000 per item. So definitely worth checking your home policy.

Most of the typical items fall below $1,000. But the primary light and DS are big ticket items.

I use DiveAssure. It is a primary coverage provider. The Diamond Plan has accident, chamber, trip cancel insurance, and equipment insurance. The limit on the equipment is $5000 per incident.

...not enough...

Dive Assure also carries supplemental gear insurance as a separate policy. Check it out at DiveAssure.com. I am with you, I travel with thousands of dollars worth of gear and I am always in fear of it not making it to the destination. It is sad when you need to decide what gets carried on and what goes in the belly of the beast for fear of lose. I always carry my regs aboard as I can dive without a camera.

I've used Senn Dunn the last couple of years - currrently waiting for an upcoming trip b4 I renew. To ensure $2500 of Rec gear and $4000 of video gear will cost me about $225 yr. It's full replacement and I set the value on their website for everything I insure.

Interesting exclusion on their policy:
This policy does not insure against: ITEMS LOST WHILE IN YOUR CARE, CUSTODY AND CONTROL - WHILE IN USE BOTH IN AND OUT OF THE WATER, DROPPED OVERBOARD OR SWEPT OVERBOARD.
So basically I consider it travel loss/theft protection.

Thanks to all for your input.

One thing is to buy the insurance, the other is to actually make a claim. Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences in trying to collect from the notoriously "cheap" insurance companies?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom