Supplies in Palau? PNG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanimal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know if you can get tanks and sorb (and nitrox) in Palau? I've emailed Sams a few times with now response.

I'm using a Dolphin, so 4-7L (28-50 cu ft) tanks, nitrox (40-60mix), and of course soda sorb.

My back up plan is on Ball's Liveaboard in PNG. So I'm also interested in any info/experience anyone has at getting supplies on site, shipping or transporting.

Thank you!

Hello Scubanimal, I've never been to Palau, but I have been to PNG 4 times. I would not recomend the Mike Ball boat for many reasons, mostly because I doubt they will be very open to solo rb diving, which I'm guessing is what you would be doing considering that probably none of the other divers will be diving with an rb. I have had great experinces bringing my Prism CCR on the Golden Dawn, which has several Dolphins onboard as well as a Classic Kiss and a new Sport Kiss. The owner/operator Craig deWit is an avid rb diver and has tons of experience. He also has some modified CCR Dolphins as well. There is absorbant onboard, usually Medisorb which seems to be less dusty than dragersorb. They have a nitrox system and O2 and Helium. Craig will likely dive with you on many of your dives and may have other rb divers onboard, as he has trained many divers on rbs and has much repeat business. The GD is smaller(80ft) and only takes a max of 10 divers, usually less and I believe his day rate is less than Ball. The GD has more itineraries than any other PNG boat and she is the most seaworthy vessel I've ever been on thanks to both dynamic, active stabilizers and passive stabilizers for anchoring. I also much prefer the boats midpoint entry/exit which means less rocking and rolling in heavier seas as it's at the fulcrum of the boat's motion. The crew have been on the boat for many years and are all local, except for the chef who serves the best food I've ever had on a liveaboard. You can call the boat directly and the call is billled to you at the same rate as a call to Autralia, about 17 cents a minute. Give craig a call if you want to know more 011 61 1 45119159.

Oh, one other thing, if you choose to go to PNG, go through Tokyo Narita if your schedule allows as this is the shortest way to get there.

silent running:
Oh, one other thing, if you choose to go to PNG, go through Tokyo Narita if your schedule allows as this is the shortest way to get there.

Great info, Thank you!

Sams' has a great tech department, was just there 3 months ago and they had plenty of SODASORB, and fills up to 100% O2. They have a point of contact on their website(must go to tech area link).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom