Support posts.. for days we need support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cameron,
I almost have to laugh, but you are going to shake you head at this.....
I do have inner ear problems and sinus issues. I went in for a CT scan last Friday.
I know, I'm falling apart. My wife keeps threatening to trade me in on a newer model.
I will take your advise and get with a trainer FIRST before starting to swim.
Thanks for the help.
Greg

As far as granting me a reprieve from weigh ins, sorry "Doc" I'm addicted to weigh ins. Is there a 12 step programs for weigh in addicts?

Actually, there is (I know your question was tongue in cheek), but there is a 12 step program, Overeaters Anonymous. I know and have known a few members.

IMHO an addiction to the numbers approaches an anorexic mindset (body image issues). There are many exercise anorexics that exercise themselve (literally) to death.

Chris

DiverG:
Cameron is averaging about 2lbs a week a get thin quick approach?

I've also increased my exercise from doing nothing to doing alot. Even now I've noticed I've gone from working out everyday to working out 4 to 5 times a week.

2lbs/week is at the upper limit for what is usually a reasonable, long term weight loss trend. However, it does seem that your body is not happy with this rate, and something needs to change or you won't beat the cravings.

Weight loss is a great demonstration of the mind/body link- though you might feel like your cravings are a demonstration of mental weakness, it's your body is who's calling the shots.

Since your eating choices do indeed seem to be reasonable, you might be experiencing the symptoms of "overtraining." Google the term to see more about what this is, how it happens in the first place, and how to break the cycle. Your reduction of your exercise schedule to 5 days per week is a step in the right direction and sounds like a good plan to keep until you feel better.

Cameron

Dr. Frankenmule:
I do have inner ear problems and sinus issues. I went in for a CT scan last Friday.

Sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you're on the way to ID'ing the problem. Get that squared away, and hopefully you won't have problems when you swim next time.

Cameron

After reading Frankenmouth_tom's comment about coffee:

For me, decaf coffee is like NA beer. I need the "vitamin c"--caffeine. I used to drink more of it in college. At my Peace Corps physical, the doc said I shouldn't drink coffee. I replied, "You shouldn't smoke." That stopped that conversation! Oddly enough, I could have two cups, and still go straight to bed. Anyway, if it's a choice b/t Regular and Unleaded, fill 'er up with Regular, please. :0

Ok, I know what Cameron said about the walking being the most important exercise I can do, but that is not the most fun activity for me. I have to really talk myself into it. Example, this week I have done the following for exercise.
Monday: 45 min. power water arobics class.
Tuesday: 30 min. walking with two pound hand weights.
Wednesday: 45min. power water arobics class.
Thursday: day off
Friday: 45 min. power water arobics class.
Saturday: 30 min walk.

I much prefer the water exercising to walking, I enjoy being in the water and I enjoy being with people. When I walk I have to do it alone. Really boring!

A year and a half ago I took the water arobic class and found that when I on my dive trip at the end of those two months my SAC was much better. I have maintained that better air consumption, but would really like to see that improved too. Especially with the additional weight loss I have had. I am now 10 lbs lighter than I was March of this year and 16 pounds less than a year and half ago. With the added exercise that I am doing I would think I will see some improvements.

I sure hope so, since that is one of my goals for improving my weight loss and overall fitness is for improved diving fitness.

SeaAngel,

Water aerobics is a perfect substitution for walking, as long as the cardiovascular effort is similar. I was primarily making my recommendation based upon what you were already doing.

The schedule you list looks great. My only suggestion would be to walk without the hand weights. They can potentially add stress to your upper spine/neck while not really helping your cardiovascular fitness. Check out http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=2628637 for more information on this.

If you are concerned about upper body exercise, you can add 5 minutes of dumbbell work after a walk and get better strength gains with less stress.

Cameron

Thanks, Cameron. I only added back in the water exercises this week. I kind of had a brain storm and thought since I love the water so much, and it is so hot right now that I would switch over to do those classes.

I actually, planned to have today as a rest day, but my best friend talked me into going to the class this morning. So I did my water arobics again this morning, had a different instructor than the one from the evening class. She really put me through the paces, she said I was more advanced and she could have me work out at a higher pace than some of the others that normally come to class. We actually had 6 women in class, once 4 of the women left when we moved into the deep end of the pool to do some of the workouts there. Normally, we use a floatation device for some of the deep water exercises, but she told the one lady and myself left that we were more advanced and would get more resistance without the floats. Made for a much more intense workout. Later the instructor that I have in the evenings came by and said we should be proud of ourselves for doing those workouts without a float because there were some instructors that did not have the strength to do that.

All I know is I am tired this afternoon and feel I need a real rest period now. I am glad that I went and got to do the more intensive workout. I now can see how much more I can do.

Again, thanks for the site too. All resources are good and I really appreciate it.

Oh Man, I think I'm going to need some support when I get back from Cozumel. My pants already feel a little tighter, but I'll just have to get back on track when the vacation is over. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom