Supporting our local dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too, deal with my dive shops using only cash and don't want a receipt, which reminds me, a dive manufacturer owes me @ 3000 for lead that I cast for him.

Michael

Thankfully there is nothing I'll need from a dive shop for the next few years. They will have to survive without we!
I've spent the last month boxing up my dive gear and tools for the move to Lake City and I'm almost done 3 and a half tons later. Tonight I'll put the last 50L 300Bar O2 tank in it's made to measure wooden container. Then I still have to box up 4 AL80s, 3 AL40s, 4 3L 300Bar diluent and O2 tanks, 2 2L 200bar Argon Tanks with regs, 3 Stage Regs, an XCCR RB, the last 2 unboxed Drysuits, Weezle Extreme +, heating vest and whatever else is still lying around in my ManCave. Then I'll have to pack my trophies, pictures, painting, clothes, shoes, PCs and the rest of my odds and ends and arrange to get it all shipped in a container to Lake City Florida.
The only things I'll need in the next 5 years are a new gas contract, Masterline Booster, lots of rebuild kits for my MK17 and MK20 first stages, and 15 or so Apeks 2nd stage kits, which I'll all get mail order (with the exception of the gas contract). Everything else, I have spares for the spares.
Sure I'd like 2 of John Nellis's scooters, but I can continue to make due with my 3 LiFePO4 gavin scooters for a few more years.
I'm at the point that if a dive shop has it in stock, I either already have lots of them, or wouldn't want it in my house.

Michael

Oh,yes, we already know about your saga. I do hope realize you are the exception to the rule.

Better hope your container doesn’t fall off the ship. That happens fairly often.

Up here in the Midwest, if you want at least a dive shop to get fills from so you can keep diving, you better support them. Even if it’s just buying a fill card now.

I never got fills at my LDS. I got fills at the quarries (Haigh, Gilboa) or from buddies who ran a fill station out of one of their homes. They were the only source anywhere around for pre-blended Nitrox.

I never got fills at my LDS. I got fills at the quarries (Haigh, Gilboa) or from buddies who ran a fill station out of one of their homes. They were the only source anywhere around for pre-blended Nitrox.

My shop banks 32%. Haigh doesn’t. Don’t know about Gilboa.

I tried to support my LDS.
I brought in a piece of gear yesterday with a minor issue that I probably could have figured out myself eventually.
He fixed it on the spot and wouldn't charge me.
I'd like him to stay in business. Guess I'll have to buy something now.

My shop banks 32%. Haigh doesn’t. Don’t know about Gilboa.

You have a decent shop. They didn't exist in Indianapolis. I would get airfills at Haigh or Gilboa when there and Nitrox at my buddy's small fill operation. Down here I get banked 32 or 36% fills ... true HP fills ... in under 15 minutes 7 days a week, 8-8 weekdays or 7-7 weekends. That's service!

I bought a gift certificate online for my shop. It will go towards my unlimited air fill card for the year once the season opens

Thankfully there is nothing I'll need from a dive shop for the next few years. They will have to survive without me!
I've spent the last month boxing up my dive gear and tools for the move to Lake City and I'm almost done 3 and a half tons later. Tonight I'll put the last 50L 300Bar O2 tank in it's made to measure wooden container. Then I still have to box up 4 AL80s, 3 AL40s, 4 3L 300Bar diluent and O2 tanks, 2 2L 200bar Argon Tanks with regs, 3 Stage Regs, an XCCR RB, the last 2 unboxed Drysuits, Weezle Extreme +, heating vest and whatever else is still lying around in my ManCave. Then I'll have to pack my trophies, pictures, painting, clothes, shoes, PCs and the rest of my odds and ends and arrange to get it all shipped in a container to Lake City Florida.
The only things I'll need in the next 5 years are a new gas contract, Masterline Booster, lots of rebuild kits for my MK17 and MK20 first stages, and 15 or so Apeks 2nd stage kits, which I'll all get mail order (with the exception of the gas contract). Everything else, I have spares for the spares.
Sure I'd like 2 of John Nellis's scooters, but I can continue to make due with my 3 LiFePO4 gavin scooters for a few more years.
I'm at the point that if a dive shop has it in stock, I either already have lots of them, or wouldn't want it in my house.

Michael
How are they letting you into the country? Travellers to the USA from Europe are banned, or so you have some kind of immigration card already?

How are they letting you into the country? Travellers to the USA from Europe are banned, or so you have some kind of immigration card already?

Was born as an American citizen, still am. Back in January, I even registered to vote in Lake City! There are plenty of American expatriots who are planning to come back to the USA for retirement, but there are at least as many Americans who are going to retire in the Phillipines. Right now they are having the big problems, and probably will end up having to put off their retirement for another year.

Michael

Was born as an American citizen, still am. Back in January, I even registered to vote in Lake City! There are plenty of American expatriots who are planning to come back to the USA for retirement, but there are at least as many Americans who are going to retire in the Phillipines. Right now they are having the big problems, and probably will end up having to put off their retirement for another year.

Michael
I get it now, so like the rest of us you’ll be self quarantining for 14 days after you arrive...?

Back
Top Bottom