Surf-n-turf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeFlaneur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is a question that has been on my mind for a while. Perhaps it's come up in other discussions but it's kind of a tough topic to surch for.

When I travel, I want diving to be a part of it, but not to the exclusion of everything else. Ideally I like to schedule a beach bungalow and diving at the end of a trip that involves plenty of other activities and a lot of moving from place to place.

Of course I want to use my own gear, but I don't want to carry it around with me until I dive.

What do others do in this situation?

Airports and train stations used to store gear but that is becomming less and less common. Are dive shops ever willing to store gear for a small fee if you ship it to them or drop it off at the beginning of the trip? Any other methods/facilities that people normally use to store gear for the short term?

Obviously if this gets to be more expensive than renting gear it defeats some of the purpose. But I'd still rather use my gear than a dive shop's beat-up offerings.

Depends on where you might be going. How about naming a few places and maybe SB'ers can give advice.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

LeFlaneur:
Of course I want to use my own gear, but I don't want to carry it around with me until I dive.

See right there is where I gotta say: Really? In the majority of dive ops that I look at the rental gear is just fine. Now, if you're a funny size, that might be a different issue, but I have carried a mask, my flips and a wetsuit and been as happy as a fish.

What do others do in this situation?

You could have your advance man carry it. I looked at your profile!

Airports and train stations used to store gear but that is becomming less and less common.

I can't name one that even has a locker. The fear of explosives has caused stateside airports to do what european airports have been doing since the early 80's.

Are dive shops ever willing to store gear for a small fee if you ship it to them or drop it off at the beginning of the trip?

I can't imagine why not- call them in advance to arrange it. Say, what you're saying smacks of going to a civilized place. Why not have UPS sit on it for you?

Any other methods/facilities that people normally use to store gear for the short term?

I go to Roatan two times a year. I store a set of gear there at my favorite dive op. the small fee is worth it.

Obviously if this gets to be more expensive than renting gear it defeats some of the purpose.

If? Have you checked common carrier rates with insurance as of late? For me to send 35# of gear insured for $1500 costs every bit of $37 (Chicago to Florida).

But I'd still rather use my gear than a dive shop's beat-up offerings.

Pick better dive shops! :wink:

So, I'm sensing this was too broad a question.

You're right, maybe I just need to get over my desire never to rent gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom