Surfing suits for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Would you consider wearing surfing wetsuits for diving? Suits from surfing brands such as quicksilver & bodyglove, if they were cheaper/on sale compared to regular diving wetsuits?

Most of the time you see wetsuits...they are the same for surfing and diving. The only difference you will see in a true surf wetsuit is thinner material in certain areas.

In dive suits you will see a thickness of 3mm....5mm....7mm.
In surf suits you will see 3/2 mm ... 5/4mm. This is because they use thinner neoprene in the arm,legs, and sometimes side panels.
This is for flexiblity because surfers move a whole lot more than divers. It is also designed to reduce bulk at arm and leg joints.

If you do get a surf suit to use for diving....gauge the thickness with the lower number for thermal protection

O'Neill's web site shows dive suits available in 5/3 and 7/5mm. They also show the Reator shorty in both the Surf and the Dive sections.

I believe the first number is the thickness in the body, the second number is the legs/arms. I have a 2/1 O'Neill shorty and it works great.

Doesn't look like there is much difference between the surf and dive?

I feel suit technology is more advanced in surf suits...embedded titanium, greater flexibility etc...I've used my surf suit often while diving...but rarely my dive suit for surfing, a movement issue.

I find my tolerance to cold water is a lot less for surfing than diving...basically most of the time your half in the water and half out....the that big set rolls in forcing all that new cold water into your suit

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom