Surprising dive in Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pottermom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Puerto Rico is not known for it's diving but while we were on the island of Vieques we managed to sneak in one shore dive. Originally we were to go out on a boat dive but a small craft warning kept us on shore and we headed over to the old Navy pier. I was shocked at the marine life we found. Huge sting rays around the pier and many fish but the most turtles I'd seen in one place. We saw five Hawksbill turtles and one huge Green turtle munching happily on the sponges growing on the pier. It taught me not to pre-judge a site.

A very wise Pacific Northwest diver once said, "You will never have a bad dive in Puget Sound, if you look at what's there, and not what isn't." I can't even count the number of dives where we have been delightfully surprised, because we didn't find what we were hoping for, but we found what was there!

I've been diving in La Parguera between Christmas and New Year's for the past eight years or so. There's a great wall a few miles off the coast. Desecheo Island off the west coast is also well known for diving. I'm glad you had a good time!

A very wise Pacific Northwest diver once said, "You will never have a bad dive in Puget Sound, if you look at what's there, and not what isn't." I can't even count the number of dives where we have been delightfully surprised, because we didn't find what we were hoping for, but we found what was there!

Lynn,

You and Bob pretty much got me to try and sneak in a dive when my brother gets married next year. I told him that, but promised him if there was ANY chance of me missing the ceremony/reception/rehearsals I wouldn't go, but if I got a few hours or a day with nothing to do but sit on my butt I'm sneaking out.

Now as far as the topic of PR diving, my local Dive Club is there now and sending back some stunning pictures. They are currently diving Playa Santa, Guanica PR and actually thinking about a new trip next year.

1017652_10200444228851825_507200121_n.jpg

1005169_10200450831936898_477989613_n.jpg

Pettermon:
I am glad you enjoyed diving in my beatiful island. You will be surprised of the underwater beaty we have...We might not have the BIG DIVING RESORTS other island have but certainly can accomadate those looking for adventure undersea...

BVickery:

Next time your club members go down to PR find a way to go along... you will not be disapointed...I dove w Mike, Deann and Jen when they went on their first trip...I saw first hand their smiling faces when they came out of the water ( Yes I was in the boat w them... I am was raised 12 miles from Playa Santa)

I now have the pleasure of seing my son get his OW cert w Mike as his intructor...Will post pics soon...

Puerto Rico lo hace mejor!!! ( PR does it better!!!!)

Pettermon:
I am glad you enjoyed diving in my beatiful island. You will be surprised of the underwater beaty we have...We might not have the BIG DIVING RESORTS other island have but certainly can accomadate those looking for adventure undersea...

BVickery:

Next time your club members go down to PR find a way to go along... you will not be disapointed...I dove w Mike, Deann and Jen when they went on their first trip...I saw first hand their smiling faces when they came out of the water ( Yes I was in the boat w them... I am was raised 12 miles from Playa Santa)

I now have the pleasure of seing my son get his OW cert w Mike as his intructor...Will post pics soon...

Puerto Rico lo hace mejor!!! ( PR does it better!!!!)

Nice. When we had the local Bubbles Up meeting just before the trip all they talked about was how stunning it is. I am hoping to go, but need to get back in the water first, got my BP/W here, just need to pick up a crotch strap then some springs dive to get used to the BP/W and get a dive back in.

"You will never have a bad dive (HERE), if you look at what's there, and not what isn't."

I think this bears repeating (with a modification). Too many divers get caught up with what they didn't see, as opposed to celebrating what they did see.

On a 'professional' level, too many guides coax divers to the next part of the reef, instead of letting them enjoy the section they're already on.

Thanks TSandM

Heading out to PR in mid-October for a week, however we are staying in the Eastern part of the Island near Fajardo where there is at least a good dive shop or at least I hope!

Will be my first time there, hope to get some good pics. Anybody have any recommendations for sites, shops, or restaurants/bars in that particular area?

Going with some friends who already booked the house we are renting for the week otherwise I may have opted for a more southwestern location..since it seems thats where the good stuff is at. But either way I have fun.

Heading out to PR in mid-October for a week, however we are staying in the Eastern part of the Island near Fajardo where there is at least a good dive shop or at least I hope!

Will be my first time there, hope to get some good pics. Anybody have any recommendations for sites, shops, or restaurants/bars in that particular area?

Going with some friends who already booked the house we are renting for the week otherwise I may have opted for a more southwestern location..since it seems thats where the good stuff is at. But either way I have fun.

I am form the West side so I have not dive the east at all, however form what I have heard from my Dive Operators friends from the East, you need to dive either Culebra, Vieques and Humacao. There are several dive shop in that area...In Culebra contact Culebra Divers - www.culebradivers.com , Vieques- Black Beard Sports - www.blackbeardsports.com, Fajardo - Casa del Mar - www.scubapuertorico.net , Sea Ventures - www.divepuertorico.com . If you want the local perspective before chossing a dive site or operator contact a friend of mine , Jesus Morales of Bluw Water Scuba - he has an Dive OP in Ponce but has a lots experinece diving in the East and can give a more informed feedback on the PR East...( Blue Water Scuba) If you decide to go to Culebra or Vieques you need to take the ferry from Fajardo...let me know and I will send your some tips....

Enjoy...

Gino

---------- Post added July 18th, 2013 at 11:12 AM ----------

Nice. When we had the local Bubbles Up meeting just before the trip all they talked about was how stunning it is. I am hoping to go, but need to get back in the water first, got my BP/W here, just need to pick up a crotch strap then some springs dive to get used to the BP/W and get a dive back in.

Hope you get the time to get back into diving and go an enjoy diving in my beatiful island....Let me know if you need any information...

Thanks

Gino

Puerto Rico is not known for it's diving but while we were on the island of Vieques we managed to sneak in one shore dive. Originally we were to go out on a boat dive but a small craft warning kept us on shore and we headed over to the old Navy pier. I was shocked at the marine life we found. Huge sting rays around the pier and many fish but the most turtles I'd seen in one place. We saw five Hawksbill turtles and one huge Green turtle munching happily on the sponges growing on the pier. It taught me not to pre-judge a site.

We spent a week in Vieques in 2011 and did several dives in that pier. They were all great dives, including a night dive.

I have also never seen that many turtles concentrated in one area. At the of the pier we also saw a couple of octopus and lots of other fish.

I do prefer Parguera and Desecheo, but there is definitely some good diving on the east area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom