Suspicious shark sighting - what was it up to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several species of sharks can lie motionless on the bottom and pump water and oxygen through their gills. The sharks I have observed are: nurse, lemon, caribbean reef, and sandbar. Here is a very amateur video I took of a nice sized sandbar shark lying on the Hole in the Wall site in Jupiter. Depth was 130 ft.
YouTube - sleeping sandbar shark in Jupiter

Amazz-That was incredible! I've seen lemons, wobbegongs, angels, whitetips, even blacktips etc. all lying on the bottom, but never sandbars! Do you mind if I pass this video along to my shark friends at Mote and Univ. of Hawaii?

You can pass it along. I sent the original to George Burgess. What you don't see is my friend scratching the shark under the nose. That was a little non-pc for the internet. Below is a little reefie on Tunnels in Jupiter. About a half a dozen of them make this site home and sleep under the ledges. Pic number two is a lemon shark in Jupiter. Pic three is the same lemon after it decided I was getting too close. It turned and swam away.

F1A7AAFF64924CAD92B2752ED484E8D7.jpg

mid_43-81CBE6BC583544D7905C72B26B067188.jpg

mid_43-3BEF6A5E7A8F421EBFD8F227C127E4CD.jpg

I've just revisited this thread, and I'm loving this picture (the last one) I hope they weren't being as menacing as they look! I think I'd be a little worried if three sharks were looking at me like that!

Excellent pictures Amazz, thanks for sharing.

I love Lemons, they look like they have a sneaky sneer on their face. When I was diving with them and Tigers at Tiger Beach in the Bahamas, almost every frame I took of Tigers had a lemon in the corner giving me that sneer...like hey...look at me I am in your shot!

4161173218_aebbb3a092.jpg

Or they just take over the shot! LOL! My niece Abby loved this one!
4160422163_a199b3b9a7.jpg

Jupiter is my favorite place in Florida to dive, I have never been disappointed!

Carolyn:shark2:

Even though I live in the prairies of western Canada, I' am a shark enthusiast. When sharks go to rest on the sea floor, will they generally tend to face into the current, so that fresh water is continuously flowing over their gills? it would make sense as well as staying true to their aerodynamic design so they can rest easy.

However my experience with sharks is nonexistent at this point, but that will chance soon enough.

Btw, what sort of education and specialized training would one need to study and research sharks in the field? Preferably in Canada, but abroad is just as good, if not better in most cases.

Hale-Blacktips don't rest on the bottom unless they are stressed. In this case, the aquarium I worked at in Connecticut had just received a pair of blacktips via air freight. They were pumping water over their gills like whitetips, and both were fine until I quit the aquarium many years later.

Scubahagel- Shark studies, or most research for that matter, is headed up by a principal investigator who often has a PhD. At universities, the PI has a number of PhD students and post-docs working under him on various projects. Each of them, in turn, has undergraduate students, volunteers, and maybe a few employees under them. From my experience, the paid positions are handed to people they know professionally such as former volunteers and students. At NOAA, there is a PI who has a team of employees under them. In almost all of these cases, a bachelor's degree in Biology, Zoology, or something related with experience might get your foot in the door, but the field is highly competitive and it really helps to know somebody. My last job at NOAA had 120+ applicants for only 10 open spots.

That said, for experience, you can try volunteering. People love free help. Off the top of my head, there is a program that teaches photographic identification techniques on threshers somewhere in the south Pacific. I could dig up the name if you want. Also, aquariums often accept volunteers. I've heard of universities in California and Alaska studying salmon sharks, but nothing in Canada specifically, sorry.

Even though I live in the prairies of western Canada, I' am a shark enthusiast. When sharks go to rest on the sea floor, will they generally tend to face into the current, so that fresh water is continuously flowing over their gills?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/242046-white-tip-reef-shark-mouth-cleaning.html

If you look at the linked thread, the pictures and video are just inside the mouth of a "dead end" cave that has very little "surge" where the images are shot and pretty much no current. The area in those images is a cleaning station, but often the white tip reef sharks will be hiding/resting way deep inside where there is no surge and no current, especially when divers are around.

I have also done a couple hundred dives off Key Largo and as far as I saw the nurse sharks are looking for a ledge or cave to at least get their head under, with little or no current / surge decision.

Since this thread has been bumped, I will use this opportunity to point out that blacktip sharks and white tip sharks are a very imprecise way of typing when discussing reef sharks. There are blacktip sharks and there are blacktip reef sharks. There are white tip reef sharks and there are oceanic whit tip sharks, which are possibly less imprecisely called white tip sharks. There are nurse sharks, there are grey nurse sharks and there are grey reef sharks. Since members with little shark knowledge are sometimes using ScubaBoard to learn about sharks it would behoove us that know to use reef as a descriptor a little bit more. Additionally, I am not sure the grey nurse shark (also know as spotted ragged-tooth shark or sand tiger shark) is one of the sharks that lay motionless on the bottom, but it is interesting that they supposedly gulp air(?) as a buoyancy mechanism.

Stepping down from the anal retentive soapbox now. Perhaps someone could step up and take a turn with regards to whether it should be one or two words (ending in tip)?

Blacktip shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blacktip reef shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oceanic whitetip shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whitetip reef shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grey nurse shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grey reef shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nurse shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom