Suunto Cobra First Gen Won't Go Into Dive Mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jlevine,

When exactly is this issue occurring? When you are actually submerging the computer under water, or when you manually try to place your Cobra into dive mode?

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Hi Chris,

It won't go into dive mode when I am submerging. It continues to read pressure just fine. I didn't know I could manually place it into dive mode.

Thanks!

Jlevine,

That is a depth sensor issue. If your depth sensor has gone out, then your computer is in an unrepairable state. The depth sensor is calibrated to the module at the factory, so the depth sensor cannot just be replaced. When did you purchase your Cobra, and was it from an authorized dealer?

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

I purchased it probably seven or eight years ago. It was from an authorized dealer. I believe I still have the receipt.

This may or may not work, Soak it in 1:4 solution of white vinegar and warm water.There may be a mountain of salt and minerals over the sensor and if you could post a picture of the computer on that may help as well.

previous experience with Suunto on both a mosquito and a cobra - "its broken and out of warranty - so you're out of luck....." I now use a competitor....

Jlevine,

This issue is covered for 5 years under warranty, so as you know you are quite a ways out of that time frame.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Tried to post earlier but I guess it didn't go through. I had the same problem with my computer today while diving as well. Air pressure and temp gauge worked just fine, but the computer never went into dive mode and would turn off automatically. I bought mine in 2010 and my LDS went out of business. How do I go about getting this fixed?

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 07:46 PM ----------

And my local shop was an authorized dealer and I registered my product on the Aqualung website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom