SUUNTO Cobra Issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OKI_GI

Reaction score
OK, just got my Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus exchanged for a new Suunto Cobra. What are the known problems/isses with this one?

The only thing I can think of is to leave it in Nitrox mode if your a nitrox diver. If you dive it in air mode, you can't switch it to nitrox for 24hrs. And you never know when an opportunity might present itself. You'll also have to reset the mix after each dive, it reverts back to 21%. Safety thing I guess. But as far as problems go, I can't be of much help since I've only got 4 dives on mine. But zero problems so far.

Thanks, I only air right now, but good info. BTW, what new kick is required to use split fins?

I've been diving my Cobra since last summer. Absolutely NO problems. Have you also got the awesome compas, and the download?

Enjoy the Cobra

DSAO

Damedykker,

By "awesome compass", i suppose you are referring to the SK7. Why is it "awesome"? As far as i can tell, it is a regular old compass that points north.

tomcat

The old compass will only function reliable at very small inclinations so basically you’ll have to be almost vertical to use it. The Cobra attached compass works at inclinations until 30 deg. And the angle between computer and compass makes the under water use very comfortable. The effect is that with the old compass I tended to let my body check the course now I checking all the time my self. That gives me added confidence and more self-sufficiency. A good thing in my opinion.

DSAO

I had a compass attached to my DatamaxProPlus so when I exchanged it for the Cobra I had the dealer put one on. Haven't tried it yet, worked SAT and fished all day yesterday. The marlin have started to rise to lures again out here now so we trolled all day, but just ended up with mahi and runners. I use a compass heavily and even use a back up on my watch band, so I'll let you know what I think of the Cobra mount after this coming weekend when I get back in the water again. BTW, I lost a compass out of my DMPP mount so I used 3 drops of super glue to hold the last one in and it worked like a charm. Ever lost one out of the Cobra mount?

Holy cow Oki_GI, how on earth do you lose a compass out of the mount? I practically have to pry mine out with my teeth! Is there a rodeo in the deep that you've been attending? :Þ

tomcat

Are the Cobra and Vyper interface cables the same??
I have found a diagram for building an interface cable for a Vyper but I actually want to get a Cobra.

Thanks

Mick

Mick,

Let me know if you decide to make the interface. I found a similar site with the plans for one, but I am a little warry about plugging a homemade device into an expensive dive computer (I have the vyper). I don't have any issues about building it......but pugging it in and frying something...well, that's a different story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom