Suunto d4i novo depth problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atabaksh

Registered
Reaction score
I have recently bought a suunto d4i novo. It is ok in dives but when I reach the surface the depth starts changing between 0 and 0.1 meter. Sometimes after a while it reaches 0 at last but other times it remains at 0.1. Is it a problem?

Hi,
the dive computer calculates the depth based on the barometric pressure to ensure a correct measurement at altitude and for weather related variance. If the barometric pressure increases during the dive the depth reading may be a bit off when you get back to the surface as it doesn't exactly match the starting value. As long as it shows 0m when you start your dive the measurement will be correct. If it's off after the dive make sure that the water contact is deactivated and the device is in time mode so that it can readjust.

br, Hendrik

Hi,
the dive computer calculates the depth based on the barometric pressure to ensure a correct measurement at altitude and for weather related variance. If the barometric pressure increases during the dive the depth reading may be a bit off when you get back to the surface as it doesn't exactly match the starting value. As long as it shows 0m when you start your dive the measurement will be correct. If it's off after the dive make sure that the water contact is deactivated and the device is in time mode so that it can readjust.

br, Hendrik

The water contact works fine, so you say it is normal sometimes it shows 0.1 meter on the surface? Sometimes it stays on 0.1 meter on the surface with water contact off till it automatically changes to the time mode.

Hi,
yes, it's not malfunctioning. In time mode and water contact deactivated it will frequently adjust the offset to the present atmospheric pressure (the term "barometric pressure" I used is a bit misleading). This may take a couple of minutes since averaged. It's not very usual that the atmospheric pressure changes that much during a dive to make this happen but some regions tend to more variance than others.

br, Hendrik

Thanks, I feel better right now :). Just a last question, this happened just for my computer while there were other suunto d4 computers there which were showing 0 at the same time, so it may happen to every dive computer right?

Hi,
it may. The accuracy of the sensor is 1% of the scale (manual p. 104) with a resolution of 0.1m, so generally smaller deviations may occur... when the sensor is further triggered at surface an 0.1m reading can happen but is usually corrected by the software; a changed atmospheric pressure could be one reason but the sensitivity of the sensor may let it react to minor impacts as well which is why it can happen in one unit while it doesn't in another.

br Hendrik

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom