My dive computer is too conservative, what can I do ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He was not on nitrox šŸ¤£ I should have probably added why i made the nitrox comment was I did nitrox on a liveaboard and didnt get the same issue doing many dives/deeper dives, but I think I forgot that context.
Well thanks for the clarification. That changes the entire nature of your statement and makes mine irrelevant.

I ended up hitting a deco dive, without realizing it and consequently got locked out of my watch for 48 hours. Again totally my fault and lesson well learned, but realistically, thats 3 days of diving I was locked out of. His never even had a warning let alone hit a deco dive and we had practically identical diving profiles

I totally accept some fault here because I should have been paying attention to my watch and indicated I need to go up a little, but we had very similar dives as I like to follow a bit too closely so it was pretty surprising to say the least
Not defending the computer's lock out behavior, but why didn't you just do the deco?

I use a Suunto EON Steel Black, even when buddying a new rebreather diver wanting to build their hours Iā€™ve not been penalised. In fact any deco I acquired at 30m was clear by the time we got back to 9m.

That's because EONs run "full" and/or "fused" RGBM; the entry-level ones run "folded" RGBM, whatever those mean. My Cressi Leo (also "folded RGBM") seems incapable of recalculating deco too, it can only add to it. The mandatory stop does not clear on ascents as one would expect, it only clears when you get to the stop and complete it as prescribed.

Go a few metres up while the NDL is still at 1 and it behaves as expected.

Not defending the computer's lock out behavior, but why didn't you just do the deco?
Its a good question - I had a lot of thoughts in my head and if I had had a private charter, I would have 100% asked to stay down as I definitely had enough gas to be down an extra 12 mins. But basically, I realized my buddys computer hadnt even have a warning so I was also running a scenario where this was just a glitch or something (even though I knew that probably wasnt what had happened). And the stop would have been an extra 12 mins on top of 3 min safety stop, I am already the last person by +5 mins on the boat of 14ish since im a smaller person so I dont use much air. So basically I took the chance I was OK to not inconvenience everyone else, based off the fact it seemed to be a discrepancy in computers as I was again so close to this person I literally got hit in the head 20x a dive

Anyway not a scenario I plan to be in again...but hopefully its an interesting data point. I don't think its "bad" Suuntos are conservative, it was just surprising to me there could even be such a big discrepancy

Its a good question - I had a lot of thoughts in my head and if I had had a private charter, I would have 100% asked to stay down as I definitely had enough gas to be down an extra 12 mins. But basically, I realized my buddys computer hadnt even have a warning so I was also running a scenario where this was just a glitch or something (even though I knew that probably wasnt what had happened). And the stop would have been an extra 12 mins on top of 3 min safety stop, I am already the last person by +5 mins on the boat of 14ish since im a smaller person so I dont use much air. So basically I took the chance I was OK to not inconvenience everyone else, based off the fact it seemed to be a discrepancy in computers as I was again so close to this person I literally got hit in the head 20x a dive

Anyway not a scenario I plan to be in again...but hopefully its an interesting data point. I don't think its "bad" Suuntos are conservative, it was just surprising to me there could even be such a big discrepancy
I think I would have done the full 12 minutes of deco. I would just apologize to everyone. Are you positive that your buddy did the exact same prior dives as you? Why would you miss three days of diving from this error?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom