Suunto D6i vs D6i All Black as far as scratch resistance is concerned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drcolyn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in the market for a D6i and prefer the stainless steel color but I also want the harder sapphire crystal glass - it's a no brainer for only 10% more in price.
My problem is that the sapphire crystal glass option is only available on the all black model (I confirmed this with Suunto Finland) which I don't like for a number of reasons.
1. The black appearance make it look like the cheaper plastic models.
2. Any scratches through the black anodised coating is much more visible than on the stainless steel finish. I have seen pictures on the net of an all black model with Tibby adapters and the scratches on the bevelled part next to the glass is very visible.
3. I want to use the stainless steel strap of my current divers watch which has a micro adjustment function to quickly adjust the length from bare wrist to 3mm neoprene covered wrist when I have my dry suit on. (Suunto also confirmed their steel strap cannot do that)

I have read some reviews on the scratch guard that is available for the normal D6i but if it looks anything like the protective film on my cellphone screen it will not last long before fine sand get under it and ruin the finish which makes you wish you can pull it off.
Does anybody have experience on how easy the anodized black coating is scratched - as far as I know it is not the hard DLC (diamond like carbon) coating that seems reasonable scratch proof.

I have a Stainless D6i with Steel band. I have 10 dives on the computer in the last week, all shore dives with rocky entries. I know that it has taken a bump or two and it is holding up very well. Suunto provides you with two face protectors, one if a back up. The application is very easy, with simple illustrated directions.

My only complain so far is the steel band. I came out of a morning dive last on wednesday and when I took off the watch to remove my half mil and noticed that it had broke where it connects to the bottom of the face. The band is made up of steel slats that run across the band and plastic links that run around the band and attach to the face. Suunto is great and the are replacing my band under warranty. I also have a Tibby Adapter on the way with a nylon band.

As for the black anodized coating, I do have a Suunto Core All Black (not a D6i) that I wear every day. Aside from a fre scratches on the bezel and some wear on the buckle it is holding up fine. Pictures below...

73197a454a2defa8f2bdaf0902c9f700.jpg

7fbd0485b61fe861d74ed8ecb415ba56.jpg

Hi AdamG

Thanks for the pictures - just to confirm - you are sure that watch strap buckle is stainless and not aluminum?
I did some reading on anodizing stainless steel - there are very few companies that can do it and it was described as an ornamental coating that needs a protective layer over it while anodized aluminum is a totally different process and seems more durable. The visible scratches in the picture of the black D6 with orange Tibby staps proves my point. It's a real shame Suunto had to spend more of their money to paint a D6i black in order to fit a sapphire crystal glass and then only charge 10% more - just shows my lack of mathematical insight!
shakehead.gif

Any chance that you can send me an equally detailed picture of the screen of your D6i with that protective coating on?
That will probably be the decider for me as I really don't like the black coating but having a opague screen protector or one that is making a bubble is worse.

As far the Suunto steel strap goes - it looks very nice but is not functional since the length is not quickly adjustable (the first thing one would expect from a dive computer that doubles as a watch) so Tibby adapters and my old divers watch band it is. I wear my watch everyday and the steel band with micro adjustment is more comfortable when my wrist is sweating and expands in the midday heat.

Hi AdamG

Thanks for the pictures - just to confirm - you are sure that watch strap buckle is stainless and not aluminum?
I did some reading on anodizing stainless steel - there are very few companies that can do it and it was described as an ornamental coating that needs a protective layer over it while anodized aluminum is a totally different process and seems more durable. The visible scratches in the picture of the black D6 with orange Tibby staps proves my point. It's a real shame Suunto had to spend more of their money to paint a D6i black in order to fit a sapphire crystal glass and then only charge 10% more - just shows my lack of mathematical insight!
shakehead.gif

Any chance that you can send me an equally detailed picture of the screen of your D6i with that protective coating on?
That will probably be the decider for me as I really don't like the black coating but having a opague screen protector or one that is making a bubble is worse.

As far the Suunto steel strap goes - it looks very nice but is not functional since the length is not quickly adjustable (the first thing one would expect from a dive computer that doubles as a watch) so Tibby adapters and my old divers watch band it is. I wear my watch everyday and the steel band with micro adjustment is more comfortable when my wrist is sweating and expands in the midday heat.

You are right, my Core is aluminum not steel.....so the wear could be different.

I will do my best to remember to post the pictures of the D6i face with protective layer once I get the computer back. I mailed it off to Suunto this afternoon for the warranty work......

Just looking at this computer currently too and was attracted to the all black finish but also wary that if it does not hold up well it will soon look a mess.

I have a titanium strapped seiko watch with a black ring around the face and wore it climbing once...now rarely ware watch as there are several silver scratches across the bezel.

i also thought the glass was a feature (one of several) of the d6i vs the d4i, had not realised it was different again on the All Black version.

Hi All

OK I made a mistake - there is an all steel version of the D6i with saphire crystal glass - it is the one with the white strap - and you get the black strap in the box for free.
My apologies to Suunto for not giving them credit on giving the client the choice.
Regards
drcolyn

Well unjust too the plung as was able to find the All Black for only £20 more. It does not come with scratch gaurd as glass is supposed to be resistant.

Gentleman,
A quick side note about coating steel titanium etc,

A pvd coating comes off easier than a DLC coating of the same thickness (at least on my wrist it does anyway) My Favourite watch is a "Benarus 1 KM" there were only thirty of them made, and since I have #30, it was the PVD version.
I was sort of worried when i first got it, and then promptly went in to the shipyard with the boat, and we did a LOT of overdue repairs, my hands were everywehere, and I beat the H*ll out of the bezel of my watch.
My mate sent it off with a subsequent batch of watches and had it coated with a DLC coating.
Since then there hasn't been one scratch on it, it's fantastic, the body of the watch is still wearing, but the Bezel looks like new again.
He advertises it as a PVD coating, even though its actually a DLC coating because if you read about them it seems like the DLC being almost as hard as Diamond will last forever.
But a lot depends on the base material being hard or soft, for how long it will last.
Think of the epoxy paint coating you see on Scuba tanks, it lasts long, but one good ding will crack it like an egg because it's hardened aluminum, but it "IS" aluminum, wich is fairly soft comared to lets say 316S stainless
The coating on my adapters is a DLC finish, so they will probably outlast the watch coating, but if I were to choose one, it would be the plain stainless with a Sapphire crystal.
The D6 I owned had the softest crystal I have ever had on any watch over the years, and i scratched it moving boxes of equipment off the boat.
when i took it in to get the crystal changed, i was told "we don't do that", i said, so how do we repair this huge gouge then?
they replied that they change the whole Watch body....
I was already not too happy, so I took it to a local optician, who buffed it so that at least U/W you couldn't tell it was scratched.
If you buy one spend the extra money for the Sapphire, you wont regret it.

BTW nice to hear that you guys seem to like my Adapters,
Cheers
Duke

Hi Duke

Thanks for clearing the issue on the coatings - Suunto confirmed the D6i Black are only anodised so I am very glad I now have the an all S/S option with crystal glass.
I have been meaning to ask if you will ship adapters to South Africa for $75 as well - would be a real issue for me if I cannot fit my current S/S watch strap with micro adjustment which makes it practical to wear as a watch and over my dry suit cuff seal.

Regards

Sorry, I didnt see this,

Yea sure I will send to South Africa, and the price is all inclusive.
The only thing is places that are a bit Sketchy, like SA. (the UNITED KINGDOM!!! their post suck) you have to accept that once the leave Thailand, I no longer have any control over them.
So if they are lost, it's not my fault.

I had to replace a set sent to the UK, and since they lost them, i ended up sending a replacement set by EMS (tracked service) so between the 100 USD the set costs, and the extra $30.00 the EMS cost me, I didn't make anything off the next 15 sets.
I cant afford that and keep the prices reasonable for everyone.

Also, I would recommend you buy a strap with the set, its a bit cheaper, and I doubt you can find another one as good as the ones I have made.
The only ones that are close are Maratrac straps out of the states, but they wont ship anywhere else, some guys are buying them and exporting them, but they arent as thick as mine (less than .01 mm difference), but then your going to pay shipping etc.
I also have a new Black 18" / 45 cm long one just for Drysuits.

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Duke

Back
Top Bottom