Suunto Dive Manager experts... database ques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachnik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm running SDM on two systems
- one is the home desktop system (big big dual screens, fast), connected to all my backup stuff.
- the other is my tiny Netbook - which is handy for taking on dive trips, downloading logs while I'm in the hotel.

So, I have a pretty obvious strategy - I return home, drag files from the Netbook to the desktop and then load the files in the desktop to view, add notes, clean things up. Before the next trip, I drag files from the desktop back to the Netbook so the Netbook has the latest version of my data files.

I've just discovered something peculiar:
- If I add equipment or equipment kits on one system and drag the files over to the other system, the new info will show up as expected.
- However, if I modify 'Logbook>Locations>site>notes' - the modified notes do not make it over to the other system when I drag files over. I would have thought that everything was in one database file?

What I've tried:
- One way I've transfered the data files is to do a 'Backup Database' on one system, drag the file created to the other system. On the other system I use 'Restore Database' to load the files.
- Alternatively, I've deleted the 'd9.mdb' file on the target system and replaced it with the d9.mdb file from the other system.
- I've even tried to delete everything from the target system (application, all data files, all backup files that I've created). Then I install a fresh copy of the SDM application, boot it up and low and behold - it knows my previous user name (?) AND when I enter my previous password, it loads all the data files which I thought were erased! What's more, the 'site>notes' section is still the out of date version.

Can someone shed light on this?

Thanks

Last edited:
You may have to pull this file as well C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Suunto\D9.mdb

If you could add the version of your software that would help also.

@NCadiver - thanks for the comments.

As noted in the OP, pulling the 'd9' file is just one of the numerous things I've already tried.

I mentioned I installed a 'fresh' copy. By that I mean I downloaded and installed the latest version from the Suunto site. It's v3.1.0.216

You should have a second file with that name in a different location on your computer. Try doing a search on your computer. On a windows 7 system it may be in a different spot I think win7 calls it a VirtualStore.

@NCadiver - thanks again.

Hmmm. For fun, I searched both systems (one is running XP, the other running W7 Starter). Could only find one d9.mdb on either system (I expected to find a backup of it).

In the case of XP, I told the system to look for hidden files also.

In the case of W7, I didn't see an option to look search for hidden files. I did however make hidden files visible and click through a lot of stuff looking for an extra d9.mdb. W7 did find a number of shortcuts to my d9.mdb which the system had made up - so, the 'search' feature is finding stuff, just not the extra d9.mdb.

I don't see anything about VirtualStore in my W7 system. 'Search' produces nothing, 'Help' produces nothing. Possibly it's not included in W7 'Starter'.

I'm mostly a Mac user and only run Windows occasionally. I'm running WinXP in Fusion - which has nothing to do with the dilemma, just saying I'm no expert in the Windows OS.

There has to be an extra database file in there somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

I was using an old version of the SDM but I load the current version on a Win7 system and the format seems different format try this location C:\ProgramData\Suunto\D9.mdb I will need to work with it a few more days.

I was using an old version of the SDM but I load the current version on a Win7 system and the format seems different format try this location C:\ProgramData\Suunto\D9.mdb I will need to work with it a few more days.

@NCadiver - once again, I do appreciate the effort.

But, that is just one of the numerous things I tried before making my initial post. I had found a post somewhere online - a guy explained where to find the d9 file in various versions of Windows. But he didn't say anything about duplicate files nor was I able to find a duplicate d9 file on my W7 system.

Interestingly, I left this same question on the Suunto user's forum - no response. I guess SB is the 'go to' resource for most things 'scuba' : )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom