Suunto DM4 issue with cable compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MadUKDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
While fixing a friend's laptop he asked me to upgrade his copy of Suunto DM from 2 to 4. I downloaded DM4 and imported his earlier logbook ok but I cannot get DM4 to actually download new dives from his Vytek. DM4 is supposed to automatically detect the cable and dive computer when connected and download automatically but it doesn't do anything.

I have eliminated all the usual suspects (e.g. driver issues, dirty contacts etc) and DM 2 which is still on his laptop works perfectly with a solid reliable download every time.

The only thing I noticed is that he has a third party download cable which appears as a virtual COM port rather than a native "Suunto" USB device.

There are no configuration screens in DM4 so it must rely on the software to automatically pick up the cable when connected. I suspect that Suunto have rigged DM4 to only recognise their OEM cables. Can anyone confirm this? And if so are there any workarounds?

My friend is happy with DM2 and we all know DM4 is a "work in progress" so its no big deal but obviously anyone thinking of buying a 'cheap' third party cable needs to take care to check it is supported by DM4 before they part with their cash.

Thanks!

The change to detect only OEM cables took place in the transition to DM3. You just skipped a release generation to discover this "feature".

I'd tell your friend to get DM3 loaded and wait for the final product on DM4. Also, Sander8 is right, Suunto pulled that trick with the download cables because they sell expensive cables and third party cables were much cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom